3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2012 3:11 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Is JAI in active development

nickarls
      Hi,

What is the status of JAI currently, is it under development? Has it merged with something else? I was looking for a PCX encoder plugins and found stuff in a repository but I'm not sure it ever got released and I saw very few signs of life on java.net. I found a bug in the encoder and I'm just wondering if it's worth reporting somewhere or if it's just beating a dead horse...

Thanks in advance,
      -Nik
        • 1. Re: Is JAI in active development
          gimbal2
          PCX. Now that takes me back. Waaaaaaay back to when Dos still reigned supreme. I can't imagine anyone still using that format today when there is PNG (for which you don't need JAI).

The issue tracker still shows activity:

http://java.net/jira/browse/JAI_CORE
          • 2. Re: Is JAI in active development
            Yes but we're talking barcode printers that can take uploaded images. I would assume that PCX is not that uncommon for smaller/embedded devices since the algorithm is very simple. I know the spec is published so I could write my own but since someone has taken the time to start on it already I thought it would be easier to work from there.

I glanced at the JIRA but filtering for resolved issues sort by updated shows only users desperately filing/commenting JIRAs, not anybody actually doing anything about them :-/
            • 3. Re: Is JAI in active development
              gimbal2
              user12010439 wrote:
              Yes but we're talking barcode printers that can take uploaded images. I would assume that PCX is not that uncommon for smaller/embedded devices since the algorithm is very simple. I know the spec is published so I could write my own but since someone has taken the time to start on it already I thought it would be easier to work from there.
              Good point.
              >
              I glanced at the JIRA but filtering for resolved issues sort by updated shows only users desperately filing/commenting JIRAs, not anybody actually doing anything about them :-/
              Yeah its a community project now. If nobody stops complaining about stuff not working and actually does some work, it is a dead API.