This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 2:14 PM by Avi Miller RSS

Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2

845849 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Are there Oracle Linux AMIs that are free? I was looking for a RHEL 5.7 AMI, but if a clean Oracle Linux 5.7 AMI is available on Amazon, I will simply use Oracle Linux instead.

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    Avi Miller Guru
    Rayson wrote:
    Are there Oracle Linux AMIs that are free? I was looking for a RHEL 5.7 AMI, but if a clean Oracle Linux 5.7 AMI is available on Amazon, I will simply use Oracle Linux instead.
    Sure: http://aws.amazon.com/amis/Oracle
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    845849 Newbie
    Thanks for the quick response (I googled and found that page before I posted on this forum).

I am looking for an Oracle Linux 5.7 AMI (I have Oracle Linux 5.6 running locally), I need that specific version as I am trying to reproduce + debug a problem on RHEL 5.7.

(BTW, if Oracle offers free & official AMIs on EC2, then I believe a lot more people will try Oracle Linux.)
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    Avi Miller Guru
    Rayson wrote:
    I am looking for an Oracle Linux 5.7 AMI (I have Oracle Linux 5.6 running locally), I need that specific version as I am trying to reproduce + debug a problem on RHEL 5.7.
    Ok. I'll try and find out who's responsible for publishing the AMIs and see if they have an ETA on the latest versions. Though, you could deploy the existing 5.5 AMI and upgrade it to 5.7 using http://public-yum.oracle.com. If you want strict RHEL5U7 compatibility, be sure to exclude the kernel-uek-* RPMs, so that you don't install the Oracle UEK, which is shipped by default on OL5U6 and higher.
    (BTW, if Oracle offers free & official AMIs on EC2, then I believe a lot more people will try Oracle Linux.)
    Those are free and official AMIs on EC2, provided by Oracle.
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    845849 Newbie
    Thanks a lot, Avi!

If Oracle is going to publish Oracle Linux AMIs on EC2, then please also maintain the list on the Oracle community site (like this forum?), so that we can find them easily - I googled and found that people have asked for the official free CentOS AMIs for countless times! If it is easy to find free RHEL compatible AMIs, then many people will try give them a try - and many times they are useful for things like debugging issues that require a different version of RHEL for example, or for ISVs to quickly run compatibility tests before releasing a new version of software.

Again, many thanks for the quick response, and I am going offline soon (it's almost 1am on the east coast!).
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    Avi Miller Guru
    Rayson wrote:
    If Oracle is going to publish Oracle Linux AMIs on EC2, then please also maintain the list on the Oracle community site (like this forum?), so that we can find them easily
    Well, I would say that the list of AMIs on the official AWS site is the best place to put them. :) There is also the Oracle on Amazon Web Services Cloud forum: Oracle on Amazon Web Services Cloud
  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    LenzGrimmer Journeyer
    FWIW, I've added a pointer to the AMIs to this page: https://wikis.oracle.com/display/oraclelinux/Downloading+Oracle+Linux
  • 7. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    Avi Miller Guru
    Rayson wrote:
    If Oracle is going to publish Oracle Linux AMIs on EC2, then please also maintain the list on the Oracle community site (like this forum?), so that we can find them easily
    I've also had confirmation that Oracle and Amazon are currently testing the latest Oracle Linux 5.7 and 6.1 AMIs and these will be published soon as well, to the same location.
  • 8. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    845849 Newbie
    Thanks a lot, Avi & Lenz.
  • 9. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    845849 Newbie
    Any updates on the Oracle Linux AMIs? Recently I tried to find an AMI with a newer Oracle Linux version, but found that I could only get OL 5.5.

BTW, we used Oracle Linux 6.3 (with the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel) as the controller (on our side) of the Ubuntu cluster master (on EC2), which itself has 10,000 slave nodes - all in 1 single Grid Engine cluster. The Oracle Linux controller was responsible for sending REST API commands to Amazon, so it is a critical component of this whole setup!

http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2012/11/running-10000-node-grid-engine-cluster.html

It would be great if we can use Oracle Linux for the whole cluster in the future!!

Rayson
  • 10. Re: Oracle Linux AMI on Amazon EC2
    Avi Miller Guru
    Rayson wrote:
    Any updates on the Oracle Linux AMIs? Recently I tried to find an AMI with a newer Oracle Linux version, but found that I could only get OL 5.5.
    We're working on it. Well, Lenz is, from what I'm told. :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points