This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 10:50 PM by Davin Fifield RSS

Memory Issue within OPA?

Kansas Newbie Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm hoping someone can help us with a memory issue? We are having on our machine due to OPA?

Currently we have OPA set to send and receive data from Siebel. However during (after hitting next), or at the end (submit/save) of the interview process we will sporadically receive the generic error message:

Error displayed to screen was the 'generic message':
An error occurred trying to process your request.
This error has been ….

When the error is received on the save execution, the data is received in Siebel so there doesn't appear to be an issue during the sending of the data. And since it sometimes happen just hitting the next button reaffirms there isn't a connection problem between the two.

Also we've noticed the IIS server log shows a bunch of 1309 errors prior to running out of memory. So it seems at some point of time OPA becomes confused.

Has anyone had an issue with a memory issue on their OPA machine?

Thank you

--------------------------------------
Here is a copy of a section of the OPA log

2012-01-25 12:04:28,711 [3] ERROR Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Servlet.WebDeterminationsServletUtility - Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Exceptions.WebDeterminationsException: Invalid controller state. Expected screen was null or submitted screen did not match the expected screen.
at Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Controller.ScreenController.SubmitScreenAndCollectGoal(String screenId, String goalId, Map Params, SessionContext ctx)
at Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Controller.Actions.InvestigateAction.Submit(SessionContext context, URI requestURI, Map parameterMap)
at Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Servlet.WebDeterminationsServlet.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Exceptions.WebDeterminationsException: Invalid controller state. Expected screen was null or submitted screen did not match the expected screen.
at Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Controller.ScreenController.SubmitScreenAndCollectGoal(String screenId, String goalId, Map Params, SessionContext ctx)
at Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Controller.Actions.InvestigateAction.Submit(SessionContext context, URI requestURI, Map parameterMap)
at Oracle.Determinations.Web.Platform.Servlet.WebDeterminationsServlet.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
  • 1. Re: Memory Issue within OPA?
    BradTuckett Pro
    If the machine is having memory issues, then it is not surprising OPA is becoming confused. IIS will try to free memory by recycling the application domain, however doing so will lose the current session state, including the current state of the screen controller. Submitting the current screen will then result in this exception, because the expected screen is now undefined.

What details can you provide about the 1309 errors? (I think 1309 is the event ID for any unhanded ASP.NET exceptions.)
  • 2. Re: Memory Issue within OPA?
    Kansas Newbie Newbie
    Thank you for responding.
    Yes, I believe the 1309 error is for unhandled ASP.NET exception. The stack trace shows it at the Determinations Interview Engine. I've listed a section of the message below. This is were the confusion on my part is coming into play. Is it the engine or the server?

Error Log
    An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated. Application ID: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/application Process ID: 3040 Exception: System.OutOfMemoryException Message: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. StackTrace: at Oracle.Determinations.Interview.Engine.Local.Resource.Watcher.DirectoryWatcher.FindFiles(File directory) at Oracle.Determinations.Interview.Engine.Local.Resource.Watcher.DirectoryWatcher.Run() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
  • 3. Re: Memory Issue within OPA?
    BradTuckett Pro
    Kansas Newbie wrote:
    Thank you for responding.
    Yes, I believe the 1309 error is for unhandled ASP.NET exception. The stack trace shows it at the Determinations Interview Engine. I've listed a section of the message below. This is were the confusion on my part is coming into play. Is it the engine or the server?
    Not sure what "it" is - are you talking about the out-of-memory error? Oracle Web Determinations makes direct use of the Oracle Determinations Engine Interview Engine API, so the interview engine can only get memory from the IIS application domain. The out-of-memory exception occurs because all of the allocated memory to the process has been assigned, even if the operating system has more memory available. The directory file watcher thread requests memory when it is going to scan the files in the application's rulebase directory, so one way to avoid that would be to turn on rulebase caching. This might also give you an indication as to what is using up the memory.
  • 4. Re: Memory Issue within OPA?
    Davin Fifield Journeyer
    This has been confirmed as an issue in Oracle Policy Automation 10.2 and 10.3, and we plan to make a patch available shortly.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points