This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 12:25 PM by Jim Smith RSS

3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback

438198 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Generate DB Doc takes (for some databases) enormous amount of time to generate hundreads of MBs for Table Flashbacks.
This information is not usefull in the docs and takes about an hour or more to generate.
Additionally there is no option in the dialog form to remove this.
Please, exclude flashbacks from DB Doc!
  • 1. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Braykov,

Thank you for trying out the 3.1 EA and taking the time to report this. I have logged an internal bug:
    Bug 13683879 - 3.1EA3: FORUM: GENERATE DB DOC SHOULD NOT INCLUDE TABLE FLASHBACK DATA

That behavior is incredibly annoying, and I suppose the data is even more voluminous if Flashback is actually enabled. So much for testing on tiny, development databases...

A workaround of sorts would be to create a dummy schema, do a Database Copy into the dummy of just the DDL from the schema you wish to report against, then run Generate DB Doc against the dummy schema.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    438198 Newbie
    Hi,
    Thank you, so much, for taking the effort to review my post. I really hope this is fixed for the 3.1 Finasl.
    As for the workarround, it is not very feasible for me. I have 9 databases with around 20 schemas each. I cannot do that procedure so many times :-)
    For now the best I could find was to just run all db doc generations, then use scripts to delete all files which contain "flashback.html" and then run another script with a regular expression which deletes all lines (within all files in all /table sub-folders) with a <div> tag, containing the link to those flashback files.
    It is not pretty but at least I can do it automatically.
  • 3. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    Gary Graham Expert
    It's a bit late in the 3.1 cycle now, but I suppose we can always hope for a patch or interim release between 3.1 and 3.2.

You seem very resourceful. With 180 schema to process, I suppose what you really would like is for SQL Developer to provide a:

1. Command line interface with a scripting language, or (at least)
    2. Command line options like our Unit Testing feature

Then you could fully automate generation of the DB documentation.
  • 4. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    438198 Newbie
    Oh, yes, that would be my christmass wish come through.
    I was thinking about posting such feature request on the Oracle SQL Developer Exchange site, but I see I need comrads there to vote and I wouldn't count on this so much.

What I was hoping for more is actually an option to generate a common DB Doc for several schemas within one database, e.g. I have Connections inside folders - the 20 most significant ones.
    I would like to be able to tell SQL Developer to generate DB Doc for all my connections.
    This of course would mean that dependencies between schemas would be inter-linked in the html docs. Such as a table in schema A is referred to in a package at schema B the table name would be a clickable link, pointing to the documentation of the table from A. Currently such links are available only for objects within one schema.
    Also a search would alow for me to find, let's say, a package by its name, regardless of its schema (owner), etc.

Or am I getting too greedy :-)

P.S. I have some more nice ideas of the kind
  • 5. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    bjeffrie Journeyer
    Hi Braykov,

FYI, I've posted a reference to this thread in our internal to do list but you may also want to add this to the Feature Requests at the SQL Developer Exchange. This not only makes sure we don't forget, but also gives other users a chance to add their vote for the feature and provides a forum for you (the user base) to brainstorm on how you prefer it to work.

Brian Jeffries
    SQL Developer Team
  • 6. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    438198 Newbie
    Hi,
    the flashback issue is there since August 2010 and I have voted for it, but 1 - I see there are just 3 votes for it and 2 - I think it is a bug, not a feature requests. That's why I posted also here.
    As for my other ideas/needs, I just entered 5 new requests :-)
    10x
  • 7. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    924050 Newbie
    Hello,

I`ve just found this thread, and i think there is one feature, that could be added to DBDoc generation:
    1a)DBDoc generation wizard - to choose, which of the db objects should be in final document,
    or
    1a)scripting options, to configure generation.

This would be very helpful, in case, you must generate a doc from just, for example, 5 updated packages. Now you must wait for whole db doc, and then exclude unnecessary objects...

It would be great, if someone from SQLDev team could look over these ideas.
  • 8. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    bjeffrie Journeyer
    Bug 13683879: 3.1EA3: FORUM: GENERATE DB DOC SHOULD NOT INCLUDE TABLE FLASHBACK DATA
    Fixed and will be in next release.

Brian Jeffries
    SQL Developer Team
  • 9. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    924050 Newbie
    Brain, i`m talking about something else.

I proposed new feature, there was nothing about TABLE FLASHBACK DATA...
  • 10. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    Jim Smith Expert
    Don't hijack threads. This thread was specifically about a problem with flashback data.

If you want to raise a feature request, start a new thread, or go to the SQL Developer exchange and raise a request directly.
  • 11. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    924050 Newbie
    Ok, i`ll remember next time.
  • 12. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    925800 Newbie
    Is there a way to sign up to 'watch' for the release that will contain this fix?

Thanks -
    gary
  • 13. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    bjeffrie Journeyer
    Hi Gary -

Not specifically, but it will be in the very next one and they are always announced on this forum.
    (Unfortunately I don't see any way to watch for just announcements.)

Brian Jeffries
    SQL Developer Team
  • 14. Re: 3.1EA3 - Generating DBDoc - flashback
    bjeffrie Journeyer
    Hi Gary -

Just occurred to me that you could friend our Facebook page, "Oracle SQL Developer". Announcements go there as well and it's very low volume.

Brian Jeffries
    SQL Developer Team
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points