8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2012 11:52 PM by Martin Chen RSS

BIEE's Write Back function

Martin Chen
      Dear All,

Here has several questions about Write Back in BIEE 11g.

1. Is BIEE able to Write Back to Essbase? If it's able to do so, where and what should I do?

2. For Write Back to RDB, where should I put my template? I made a template and put it in the directory ORACLE_INSTANCE/bifoundation/OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent/coreapplication_obipsn/analyticsRes/customMessages but not working. Moreover, directory "customMessages" wasn't even exist.

Please kindly let me know what I missed. Many thanks for the help!!

Best Regards,
      Martin
        • 1. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
          Martin Chen
          Dear All,

Seems I have to grant Permission for Write Back to BIAdministrator so I can use Write Back. It didn't grant to BIAdministrator as default?

I can see "Apply" and "Reset" button now. Though, it shows "Write Back Error" when I clicked Apply. Where can I find the related information?

Thanks for the help!

Best Regards,
          Martin
          • 2. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
            MuRam
            Hi,

You need to have the access to write to the Database. So that the changes are updated in the database. Try giving access to write for your id, then try to give access to the whole group who needs to access the write back feature.
            And also do enable the columns in the BMM layer for the writeback feature to be activated.

Reference:

http://obieeelegant.blogspot.in/2010/12/write-back-steps-1-go-to-repository.html

Regards,
            MuRam
            • 3. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
              Martin Chen
              Hi MuRam,

Thanks for your quick reply. The following are some setting in my environment, please let me know if I miss something.

1. I have a table WBTEST with 2 column A and B, both of them are VARCHAR2.

2. I active the Write Back to A and B in BMM layer. And grant Read/Write to ConnPool in Physical layer. I tried to grant Read/Write to Presentation Table, it comes some problem to my Subject Area.

3. I add a template as ORACLE_INSTANCE/bifoundation/OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent/coreapplication_obipsn/analyticsRes/customMessages/WBTest.xml, and the content as following:
              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
              <WebMessageTables xmlns:sawm="com.siebel.analytics.web/message/v1">
              <WebMessageTable lang="en-us" system="WriteBack" table="Messages">
              <WebMessage name="WBTestSample">
              <XML>
              <writeBack connectionPool="ylbist02-DM">
              <insert>INSERT INTO WBTEST VALUES('@1', '@2')</insert>
              <update>UPDATE WBTEST SET B='@2' WHERE A='@1'</update>
                             <postUpdate>COMMIT</postUpdate>
              </writeBack>
              </XML>
              </WebMessage>
              <WebMessage name="WBTestSample2">
              <XML>
              <writeBack connectionPool="ConnPool">
              <insert>INSERT INTO WBTEST VALUES('@1', '@2')</insert>
              <update>UPDATE WBTEST SET B='@2' WHERE A='@1'</update>
                             <postUpdate>COMMIT</postUpdate>
              </writeBack>
              </XML>
              </WebMessage>
              </WebMessageTable>
              </WebMessageTables>

4. I active the Write Back in Answer and use WBTestSample and WBTestSample2. Both of them gave the same error to me.

By the way, there is nothing in my nqquery.log. Do I have to turn something on so it can be logged?

Best Regards,
              Martin
              • 4. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
                Martin Chen
                Dear All,

I solved the issue. In our model, all Connection Pool have the same name ConnPool.

Seems it causes the issue. I changed it as WBTest, and edit the template to connectionPool=WBTest. It works now.

So it leave the first problem now. Is it possible to Write Back to Essbase or any other OLAP Cube?

Thanks a lot!!

Best Regards,
                Martin
                • 5. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
                  MuRam
                  Hi Martin

You can check the below link if that can help you resolve your issue:

http://oraclebizint.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/oracle-bi-ee-10-1-3-4-1-writebacks-to-essbase-using-japi-and-custom-html-part-1/

Regards,
                  MuRam
                  • 6. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
                    Martin Chen
                    Hi MuRam,

Thanks for your reply. But the URL you mentioned is unavailable.

Best Regards,
                    Martin
                    • 7. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
                      MuRam
                      Hi,

Try,

oraclebizint.wordpress.com

and search for ---oracle-bi-ee-10-1-3-4-1-writebacks-to-essbase-using-japi-and-custom-html-part-1
                      • 8. Re: BIEE's Write Back function
                        Martin Chen
                        Hi MuRam,

It showed error when I clicked on Search.

Best Regards,
                        Martin