1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 8:36 AM by Mark Kelly-Oracle RSS

SQL Dev 3.1 Production queries

Brendan
      I see that SQL Dev 3.1 is now production. Before I download and install it I have a few queries regarding the new release and upgrading

1. Can you point me to the list of new features that are available in 3.1 prod
      2. Currently I'm running the 3.1 EA (not sure what version but its the one from last November) on a 11.2.0.1 DB. If I was to start using 3.1 Production what are the steps I need to follow to ensure that I keep all my ODM work. Or will everything work as normal.
      3. Do I need to create a new repository or upgrade the new repository. If I need to upgrade does 3.1 Prod automactically do this for me.
      4. Do I need to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 ? Whare DM features are new/changed in the DB for 11.2.0.3
        • 1. Re: SQL Dev 3.1 Production queries
          Mark Kelly-Oracle
          Hi Brendan,
          ODMr is in the process of updating OTN to reflect the new SQL Dev 3.1 Production Release.
          When that is done, we will post to the forum as well.
          See answers below.
          Thanks, Mark

1. Can you point me to the list of new features that are available in 3.1 prod
          The 3.1 is a limited release for ODMr.
          The main delivery was to translate the product.
          So it is now translated into the following languages.
          French
          German
          Italian
          Spanish
          Brazilian Portuguese
          Japanese
          Korean
          Simplified Chinese
          Traditional Chinese

Aside from that, there have been numerous bug fixes which do not get published externally.
          Since SQL Dev 3.0 was an initial release for Data Miner, there was a concerted effort to insure that any reported bugs be addressed in the follow up release.
          Some of these are feature related as well, but usually more at a lower level than some new primary feature.

2. Currently I'm running the 3.1 EA (not sure what version but its the one from last November) on a 11.2.0.1 DB. If I was to start using 3.1 Production what are the steps I need to follow to ensure that I keep all my ODM work. Or will everything work as normal.

SQL Dev 3.1 will migrate users from any previous release, whether it is a 3.1 EA release or a 3.0 release or a patched version of the 3.0 release.
          When you install SQL Dev 3.1 and connect to your user account, it will detect that you need to migrate the repository and request the sys password to perform the migration.
          We have not had any reported failures, but you should always consider doing a db backup prior to making significant changes to your db.

3. Do I need to create a new repository or upgrade the new repository. If I need to upgrade does 3.1 Prod automactically do this for me.
          See above

4. Do I need to upgrade to 11.2.0.3 ? Whare DM features are new/changed in the DB for 11.2.0.3
          It is always better to be operating at the later releases.
          This is really to pick up DB bug fixes, not for new features.

Thanks, Mark