This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2012 2:33 PM by 866711 RSS

JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation

916153 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all,

I am following installation instruction from: http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/1.2/gettingstarted/eclipse-plugin/index.html
In my Eclipse IDE "Install new software" -> "Add site" the link http://javafx.com/downloads/eclipse-plugin/ is not recognized as valid software site.
I receive message:

"Unable to read repository at http://javafx.com/downloads/eclipse-plugin/.
http://javafx.com/downloads/eclipse-plugin/ is not a valid repository location."

Please help me to install JavaFX plugin for Eclipse.

Best regards,
Slawek
  • 1. Re: JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation
    MiPa Pro
    This is for the outdated JavaFX 1.2 and not for JavaFX 2.0 which we are discussing in this forum.

If you need something for 2.0 you might be interested in this link.
    http://tomsondev.bestsolution.at/2012/01/31/efxclipse-0-0-12-released/
  • 2. Re: JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation
    916153 Newbie
    I appreciate someone is providing "homemade" plugins but when You want design reliable application it is better to use some widely supported solution.
    Tom Schindl is the only one person who takes care about this stuff. For me it is not an option :(

I am using Eclipse because my company uses it. I used to Eclipse. However when it comes to test some new technologies form Java world I see problems.
    Oracle drives Java development - they launched GlassFish, Netbeans, JavaFX.... etc. Eclipse has to catch up with every new thing but it takes time.
    Assuming NetBeans developers are in better situation. Easy Glassfish integration, embeded support for JavaFX....
    I don't like to use two IDE's pararelly.

Is there any chance that official plugin for JavaFX 2.0 will be available?
  • 3. Re: JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation
    gimbal2 Guru
    913150 wrote:
    I appreciate someone is providing "homemade" plugins but when You want design reliable application it is better to use some widely supported solution.
    Tom Schindl is the only one person who takes care about this stuff. For me it is not an option :(

I am using Eclipse because my company uses it. I used to Eclipse. However when it comes to test some new technologies form Java world I see problems.
    Oracle drives Java development - they launched GlassFish, Netbeans, JavaFX.... etc. Eclipse has to catch up with every new thing but it takes time.
    Assuming NetBeans developers are in better situation. Easy Glassfish integration, embeded support for JavaFX....
    I don't like to use two IDE's pararelly.

Is there any chance that official plugin for JavaFX 2.0 will be available?
    Funny how you rant about all that and still demand answers about Eclipse in the Oracle Java forum.

This has nothing to do with how Eclipse advances; "Eclipse" is only the bare IDE and a minimal set of plugins. Basically everything that you bolt onto it is a third party, or "home made" plugin. Some plugins will be updated quickly, others more slowly depending on how active the developers are. Its just how Eclipse works. At least try this alternative plugin, perhaps it is usable until a better supported solution opens up for Eclipse. Or use Netbeans. Or use command line tools. Be a true engineer - adapt to the situation and get the job done.
  • 4. Re: JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation
    916153 Newbie
    I always used to adopt myself to the new stuff - engineer's faith.
    I tested NetBeans - long time ago I worked on it when developing with PHP. You know my question has a bigger background. JavaFX is one of my choices regarding client side application
    but there are other aspects I need support for. Today I installed Netbeans and created my cleint-server applications set like I created with Eclipse. I will see how it runs...
    Anyway thanks for reply.
  • 5. Re: JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation
    jsmith Guru
    @Slawek,
    Put jfxrt.jar (from the JavaFX Runtime deployment) in your javac compile path and java runtime path.

For most IDEs, this can be done by creating a library containing jfxrt.jar and adding the library to your project. This is how I develop JavaFX applications using Intellij Idea (which has no JavaFX2 plugin), and the results are very productive. I would imagine the same strategy would work fine with Eclipse or other development environments.

Having jfxrt.jar on your path is the only thing you need to incorporate JavaFX into your current development process for 95% of JavaFX development tasks (write, compile, run, debug) - at least while the graphical SceneBuilder is remains unavailable. The remaining 5% of tasks are related to packaging for deployment; for which there are Oracle supplied ant scripts and command line tools.

Glad you are trying out NetBeans though, it has come a long way from previous incarnations and is worth a review . . .
  • 6. Re: JavaFX plugin for Eclipse IDE problem with installation
    866711 Newbie
    I don't get what problem you have - there can't be an official plugin for every technology from Oracle - the nice thing about JavaFX is that it is pure Java so if you decide one day that my eclipse integration is not good enough for you any more switch to any other IDE.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points