9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 5:26 PM by User247250 RSS

Demo and Production install

User247250
      I have performed Demo install OVM and it works fine but I need to keep the same database (Oracle Database 11g XE) since everything is configured then perform production install. Is this possible or I have to start from scratch? Thanks
        • 1. Re: Demo and Production install
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          890391 wrote:
          I have performed Demo install OVM and it works fine but I need to keep the same database (Oracle Database 11g XE) since everything is configured then perform production install. Is this possible or I have to start from scratch? Thanks
          You will have to migrate from the XE database to an SE or EE database. Contact Oracle Support, as they have a procedure that allows you to do this without reinstalling the Manager itself.
          • 2. Re: Demo and Production install
            User247250
            Section 3.4.2.2. Production Install of the installation and upgrade talks about using existing database in example 3.2. Production installation with local Oracle XE database - The options are 1: Install Oracle Database 11g XE
            2: Use an existing Oracle database - I thought may be it's something it can be done and perform the production install by using the existing db. Am I misunderstanding this example?
            • 3. Re: Demo and Production install
              User247250
              Any body out there can explain more if this can be done?
              • 4. Re: Demo and Production install
                Avi Miller-Oracle
                890391 wrote:
                Section 3.4.2.2. Production Install of the installation and upgrade talks about using existing database in example 3.2. Production installation with local Oracle XE database - The options are 1: Install Oracle Database 11g XE
                In Section 3.1: "Oracle VM Manager can be installed in a demo installation using Oracle XE, or as a production installation using Oracle SE or EE."

Section 3.4.2.2 clearly states: "Use this installation option and select an existing local or remote Oracle SE or EE database in production environments; *do not use an Oracle XE database in a production environment.*"

I will talk to the installation team to get the ability to install XE as part of the production install process removed.
                • 5. Re: Demo and Production install
                  User247250
                  Thanks Avi but I do have few questions if you can help me out with:

1- So for the testing purposes I am using a demo install but when I added more disks from the available disks, the "Disk ordering" did not show all the assigned disks and this is noticed only with VMs that are installed from ISO - I am not for sure at this point if I am missing anything or the demo works this way - Any idea?

2- What's the difference between XE and SE? Do they work differently with OVM?

3- If using Oracle SE, do I need to configure anything to be able to use it or the installer will automatically configure it?

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: Demo and Production install
                    Avi Miller-Oracle
                    890391 wrote:
                    1- So for the testing purposes I am using a demo install but when I added more disks from the available disks, the "Disk ordering" did not show all the assigned disks and this is noticed only with VMs that are installed from ISO - I am not for sure at this point if I am missing anything or the demo works this way - Any idea?
                    There is no difference in the UI between Demo and Production mode installs -- just which DB is used behind the scenes. This is another issue, so please start a new topic for this. The Disk Ordering tab should always show all the disks that are assigned to a VM.
                    2- What's the difference between XE and SE? Do they work differently with OVM?
                    XE is the free-to-use, resource-limited version of Oracle DB, which comes with no support.
                    3- If using Oracle SE, do I need to configure anything to be able to use it or the installer will automatically configure it?
                    You need to install SE or EE manually first, either on the Manager server or another machine. Once SE is installed, you use the Production installation mode for Oracle VM Manager to connect to the existing SE database.
                    • 7. Re: Demo and Production install
                      User247250
                      Does any of those db require any license or activation key or it's free to use?
                      • 8. Re: Demo and Production install
                        Avi Miller-Oracle
                        890391 wrote:
                        Does any of those db require any license or activation key or it's free to use?
                        We provide a free limited use license for SE or EE when used only for Oracle VM Manager. You can't use the database for anything else though.

See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26996_01/e18548/CHDDHFCA.html
                        • 9. Re: Demo and Production install
                          User247250
                          Thank you very much