This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2012 9:52 PM by 900955 RSS

Upgrading UPK and Server Requirements

476380 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

We are looking to upgrade our UPK version 3.1.7. However, when looking into it everything is all about 11.0. Can we upgrade to 11.0 or do I have to upgrade to a previous version before jumping to the latest?

Also, can the application just sit on a Production server? Currently, our old version is on a Dev Server (where the users will develop their UPKs) and a Production Server. Is there a best practice for where to install UPK? We are thinking about just installing everything on a Production server. What have other people done?

Also, does anyone have any good tips on what we should do in preparation to make life easier on us vs. in the future?

Thanks in Advance!

Jessica
  • 1. Re: Upgrading UPK and Server Requirements
    900955 Newbie
    Hi Jessica,

With reference to the Upgrade Guide provided with UPK 11, there is a section that talks to upgrading from 3.1.X. The manual states that if you are upgrading, you will first need to upgrade to 3.5 or 3.5.1 or 3.6 before you can attempt to upgrade to UPK 11. If you are not considering upgrading, then you can just implement UPK 11 as it is installed to a different location from previous versions of UPK.

Yes, the application (server portion of UPK) can sit on your production server, but that is more a business decision than anything else. I normally request clients to provide a virtual environment or a small scale server (if they have the funds) completely dedicated to UPK, but I have had UPK installed on a Peoplesoft server and it functions 100%. This is something that is robust enough to live anywhere as what really counts at the end, is the content that is created and published, but you will need to make a business decision to ensure that all stakeholders are satisfied with the intended implementation.

The best things to be cognizant of for preparations etc is to ensure that you have gone through the supplied manuals that are provided with the UPK software. When upgrading, look specifically at the Upgrade Guide, and check the Technical Spec for prerequisites to an install. Also use the Install Guide for specific instructions in the install.

Hope all the info helps!

Regards,
    Greig
  • 2. Re: Upgrading UPK and Server Requirements
    476380 Newbie
    Hi Greig,

Thanks for responding so quickly!

A couple more questions:
    If we jump straight to UPK 11.0 can we still import our previous training material?

Do you know if there are any security concerns we should be aware of? In 3.1.7 there really isn't any security on any of the folders/modules that Authors create. Do you know if any of the new versions have security that you can place on the folders?

Thanks so much for the information!

Jessica
  • 3. Re: Upgrading UPK and Server Requirements
    900955 Newbie
    Hi Jessica,

With regards to importing 3.1.X material - I am not 100% certain. What I would do in this case is install a UPK 11 Single User install, and attempt to export different types of content from 3.1.x, and see if UPK 11 will 'accept' the exported 3.1.x content. If not, then you would most likely come right by exporting from 3.1.x, importing into 3.6, then exporting from 3.6 and importing into 11. As I said, I haven't dealt with older versions (other than 3.6), so I don't want to advise you incorrectly. I also cannot find any supporting documentation other than the 'Upgrade' section in the Upgrade.pdf document provided with the UPK install.

With regards to security - the 'Author and Content Administration in the Developer' section in the Installation and Administration.pdf document will give you a very good guideline on how to implement securities in UPK 11. UPK 3.6.1 also has this functionality. You are able to create and manage groups, and assign authors to those groups. You can use the groups to drive the security on specific folders. What I normally do, is 'departmentalise' my groups (I create an HR group, a FIN group etc) and then I assign people (authors) to the group that they belong to. I then restrict each group to specific folders so that they cannot modify system folders or other departmental folders (so HR cannot access FIN content or system, and FIN cannot access HR content or system). Again, this is another business decision that needs to be taken into cognisance, as you may require cross-departmental access, or a completely different security perspective to mine. The best thing to do, is to implement a simple security strategy, and play around with it.

I hope that this provides you with a better feel for the implementation.

Regards,
    Greig

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points