3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 6:25 PM by 912756 RSS

Where can I find ctfmerge and ctfconvert?

Can anybody point me to where I can find the ctfconvert and ctfmerge tools for Solaris 10 that are compatible with Solaris Studio 12.3? I didn't see it in any of the packages included on the S10 installation DVD.
        • 1. Re: Where can I find ctfmerge and ctfconvert?
          Any help from someone at Oracle would be much appreciated. The ctf tools use to be located in the "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/" directory but they are no longer included. The problem is that these tools are required for driver builds. If these components are not going to be released in the latest Solaris 10 developer packages, should we continue to use the 2005 Sun Studio 10 release instead of the latest Solaris Studio 12.X?

Edited by: user13489824 on Feb 10, 2012 10:16 AM
          • 2. Re: Where can I find ctfmerge and ctfconvert?
            Fedor-Oracle
            The ctf tools use to be located in the "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/" directory
            I'm pretty much sure we did not ship ctfmerge bundled into SunStudio.
            ctfmerge was developed in Solaris by Solaris developers.
            Even if it was installed into /opt/SUNWspro/bin it still should have come from some other source.

regards,
            __Fedor.
            • 3. Re: Where can I find ctfmerge and ctfconvert?
              I have a couple of Solaris 10 systems(one Sparc and the other x86) with Sun Studio 10 installed. On both systems, ctfmerge and ctfconvert are contained in Sun Studio's binary directories. These ctf tools are also packaged with Solaris 11. They are found in the "/opt/onbld/bin/<i386 or sparc>/" directory. It looks like the ctf tools are and have previously been packaged with either the OS or its development tool suites. As to where they are originally from, I am not sure but it is also used in FreeBSD.

I attempted to copy the ctfmerge and ctfconvert binaries from a system with Sun Studio 10 to a newer system running Solaris Studio 12.3 and as one might expect, our driver build failed. Is there a newer version of these tools that is compatible with the latest Solaris Studio that has yet to be released?