5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 12:48 PM by 856953 RSS

Suggestions for upgrading ODAC version

Earlier today I downloaded the "64-bit ODAC 11.2 Release 4 (11.2.0.3.0) Xcopy for Windows x64" software package. As per the instructions, I also downloaded the 32-bit "ODAC 11.2 Release 4 and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio (11.2.0.3.0)" installation files. I'm not sure where to start, though.

I already have the following Oracle products installed....
      - a single Oracle home (Oracle 11g client),
      - an Oracle 11g Release 2 XE database server, and
      - the 64-bit Oracle Data Access Components (11.2.0.2.1) in an Xcopy installation/deployment.

I am using the Oracle.DataAccess library in some existing web applications and while I really want to try out the Entity Framework support in the new version of ODAC, I want to make absolutely sure that I don't screw anything up while getting this new version installed.

Do I need to uninstall any of the existing Oracle software? I've read the install guide and the FAQ but cannot figure out what's the recommended approach in this sort of situation. Any and all constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
      - Gregg

Edited by: greggb on Jan 31, 2012 9:39 PM
        • 1. Re: Suggestions for upgrading ODAC version
          Christian.Shay -Oracle
          To keep things simple, start out by simply building a 32 bit application, and ignore the 64 bit xcopy install for now.

1) Install ODT with ODAC into it's own Oracle Home (a new directory, away from XE and the 64 bit xcopy directories)
          2) Go ahead and make sure you can connect from visual studio to your database. Refer to the ODT FAQ if you have connection problems. You'll probably have to copy over the XE TNSNAMES.ORA
          3) Once you can connect run through the EF OBE here:
          http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/dotnet/EntityFrameworkOBE/EntityFrameworkOBE.htm
          4) When you build your app, target 32-bit rather than 64-bit or AnyCPU
          5) Try running it.

Once you get that working if you want to try out 64-bit, you'll have to upgrade to the latest one that supports EF, and then you'll need to change your build target.
          • 2. Re: Suggestions for upgrading ODAC version
            Thanks for the prompt reply, Christian. Trying the 32-bit ODAC installer first seems as though it might still cause a few problems since it will update the VS2010 tooling. As a result, any projects I'm working on right now could be affected, right? Also, I'm still unclear on un -installing existing ODAC versions....is that needed? Can I have them side-by-side and then just reference the appropriate versions of the Oracle.DataAccess libraries? The biggest thing for me is making sure that this sort of upgrade doesn't break existing projects and applications. Also, I'd hate to upgrade my local machine and then run into issues when updating the servers hosting our existing apps that depend on the Oracle.DataAccess libraries.

Are there any articles and/or blog posts that discuss this sort of situation? I'm sure people run into this on a fairly regular basis and I'd like to learn the "official" way of handling this. Thanks!
            - Gregg

ps: When are you going to start blogging again? Your last post was in mid-2009?! ;)
            • 3. Re: Suggestions for upgrading ODAC version
              Tridus
              The developer tools for VS don't affect a project at all. They're just convenient and useful.

If you create an EF model in the project that would affect it because you'll need an EF capable version of the Oracle client to run it, but you can have that without having the developer tools.
              • 4. Re: Suggestions for upgrading ODAC version
                Christian.Shay -Oracle
                greggb wrote:
                Thanks for the prompt reply, Christian. Trying the 32-bit ODAC installer first seems as though it might still cause a few problems since it will update the VS2010 tooling. As a result, any projects I'm working on right now could be affected, right?
                You need to upgrade the tools to be able to use the Entity Designer. You don't have much choice if you want to use Entity Framework.
                Also, I'm still unclear on un -installing existing ODAC versions....is that needed? Can I have them side-by-side and then just reference the appropriate versions of the Oracle.DataAccess libraries?
                Yes you can have the side by side.
                The biggest thing for me is making sure that this sort of upgrade doesn't break existing projects and applications. Also, I'd hate to upgrade my local machine and then run into issues when >updating the servers hosting our existing apps that depend on the Oracle.DataAccess libraries.
                Maybe you should do your experimentation on another machine or in a virtual machine until you feel more comfortable with everything. We make it possible to have different versions of ODP.NET side by side, and this well documented in our documentation. But of course if you make a mistake, you could break things.
                • 5. Re: Suggestions for upgrading ODAC version
                  I think the biggest problem I have here is I'm getting confused between updating ODAC and updating ODP.NET (which, as I understand it, is a subset of ODAC). I'll need to think more about how this all works before I make any changes to either my machine or our servers. Thank you both for your help!