This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 3:40 AM by Avi Miller RSS

Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3

876211 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I've installed a POC OVM3 2 node Cluster running 3.0.1 and managed under OVM Manager 3.0.3 as advised by Oracle Support. In the past, we have had running Oracle VM2 Clusters in Prodction and Test and have managed to script installs of VM's by running a script on the hosts that creates our base VM's. Part of the script runs the following and has been quite successful:

# Create Virtual machine using Virt Install
virt-install -p -n $VNAME -r $RAM vcpus=$VCPUS vncport=$VNCPORT -x ks=$KICKLOC$KSFILE nonsparse -b $XENBR -s $ROOTSIZE -f $OVMREPO/running_pool/$VNAME/System.img -l $RHELOS$OSDIR nographics

I understand that virt-install is not available under OVM3 and we cannot use this method. We presently have a substantiall VMware environment, that we use PXE Boot and kickstart and would like to be able to automate this when we implement OVM3 fully in a similar manner. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Edited by: LeeUK on 16-Feb-2012 02:21
  • 1. Re: Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3
    876211 Newbie
    Can I just add that I have managed to PXe Boot the Oracle VM hosts, what I'm trying to achieve is creating VM Instances such as Red Hat via PXE environment.
  • 2. Re: Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3
    Avi Miller Guru
    LeeUK wrote:
    I've installed a POC OVM3 2 node Cluster running 3.0.1 and managed under OVM Manager 3.0.3 as advised by Oracle Support.
    Please don't run mismatched Oracle VM versions: if you have Oracle VM Manager 3.0.3, you should be running Server 3.0.3 as well. We don't support mismatched versions except during the upgrade process. There are API differences between 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 that can lead to issues.
    I understand that virt-install is not available under OVM3 and we cannot use this method. We presently have a substantiall VMware environment, that we use PXE Boot and kickstart and would like to be able to automate this when we implement OVM3 fully in a similar manner. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    We are currently developing a full CLI for Oracle VM 3.x. When it's released, you will be able to create VMs using a script that will be configured to boot from the network. Currently however the only supported method of creating a guest is using the Oracle VM Manager UI.

However, I would also strongly recommend re-evaluating the way you install Linux guests under Oracle VM: VMware doesn't support PVM guests, and thus you are restricted in using PXE to boot and install Linux guests. However, Linux guests under Oracle VM can run in full PVM mode, which means they can be booted for install without PXE. You can pass the kickstart values directly as part of the Network Boot Path of a PVM guest.
  • 3. Re: Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3
    Avi Miller Guru
    LeeUK wrote:
    Can I just add that I have managed to PXe Boot the Oracle VM hosts, what I'm trying to achieve is creating VM Instances such as Red Hat via PXE environment.
    Yes, that was understood, at least by me. :)
  • 4. Re: Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3
    876211 Newbie
    Sorry duplicate post

Edited by: LeeUK on 16-Feb-2012 02:36
  • 5. Re: Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3
    876211 Newbie
    Avi Miller wrote:
    LeeUK wrote:
    I've installed a POC OVM3 2 node Cluster running 3.0.1 and managed under OVM Manager 3.0.3 as advised by Oracle Support.
    Please don't run mismatched Oracle VM versions: if you have Oracle VM Manager 3.0.3, you should be running Server 3.0.3 as well. We don't support mismatched versions except during the upgrade process. There are API differences between 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 that can lead to issues.
    We are currently developing a full CLI for Oracle VM 3.x. When it's released, you will be able to create VMs using a script that will be configured to boot from the network. Currently however the only supported method of creating a guest is using the Oracle VM Manager UI.

However, I would also strongly recommend re-evaluating the way you install Linux guests under Oracle VM: VMware doesn't support PVM guests, and thus you are restricted in using PXE to boot and install Linux guests. However, Linux guests under Oracle VM can run in full PVM mode, which means they can be booted for install without PXE. You can pass the kickstart values directly as part of the Network Boot Path of a PVM guest.
    Hi Avi, and thanks again for your help.

I know that there is a mismatch, but I was advised by the Oracle Support Team to upgrade the Manager that I was installing to 3.0.3 as I had some installation issues. I do intend to upgrade the Servers in line.

Do you know when the CLI will be available?

As a side note, we are currently running PXE and KS on our VMware Environment. When we were using OVM2, we used a KS (but not PXE) by parsing the KS file to the Oracle VM Hosts via a script that we had deployed to it. This used the virt-install to create our VM's. There were obvioulsy some differences as these were PVM's, but the we managed to generate a fairly standard KS File for OVM and VMware instances from a central KS creation script. We would like to do something similar under OVM3, but without the CLI maybe that will be more difficult.

At the moment, there is no pressing need. I really have set the POC Environment up so I can get a look and feel of OVM3 mainly. Ideally I would have like to create some of my own instances to test, but I can use downloaded templates for the time being.
  • 6. Re: Kickstarting/PXE Booting Oracle Virtual Machines under OVM3
    Avi Miller Guru
    LeeUK wrote:
    I know that there is a mismatch, but I was advised by the Oracle Support Team to upgrade the Manager that I was installing to 3.0.3 as I had some installation issues. I do intend to upgrade the Servers in line.
    You should upgrade the Servers as soon as possible. :)
    Do you know when the CLI will be available?
    Unfortunately, no. It's currently in development and will be in a future release, but we don't publish release dates for Oracle products.
    We would like to do something similar under OVM3, but without the CLI maybe that will be more difficult.
    The same thing is currently possible with OVM3 via the UI and will be possible with the CLI when it's released.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points