This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 5:52 PM by EJP Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    909523 wrote:
    Ok Looks like they have fixed the problem.... installed it recently and properly on my laptop...

Thank you Oracle.
    But did it fail earlier? If you didn't try before, you are just lucky it installs properly on your machine.
  • 16. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    EJP Guru
    Or, more probably, that the release is OK and the others above had some local problem.
  • 17. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    909218 Newbie
    909523 wrote:
    Ok Looks like they have fixed the problem.... installed it recently and properly on my laptop...

Thank you Oracle.
    It's not been fixed.

It works for you, great - thanks for your input.

This does not effect every machine/OS, only some. We can install on some OS's, not on others. It appears to be a problem with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the JDK.
  • 18. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    909218 Newbie
    EJP wrote:
    Or, more probably, that the release is OK and the others above had some local problem.
    Thanks for your input EJP. I still think the 7u2+ releases are not OK because I am having an issue that I do not have with 7u1.

Anyone have anything constructive to add that might help all of us with local issues to figure out what we have in common?
  • 19. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    913844 Newbie
    i dont think it was fixed completely, i got it to install on m laptop as well but it still wont work on my desktop, both have the same specs so i have no idea why it shouldn't work on both
  • 20. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    EJP Guru
    i dont think it was fixed completely
    At the moment there is no evidence that it was 'fixed' at all. Personally I find it pretty unlikely that a release binary would be changed without changing the release number. Not impossible, but unlikely. I'm sorry I can't help you with whatever local problems you are having, but let's not fantasize about things having happened for which there is zero evidence. That doesn't advance the discussion either.
  • 21. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    917034 Newbie
    Having the same problem.
    Windows 7 64-bit.
    Tried both installers, running as admin, all the compatibility modes, running in Safe Mode, disabling antivirus. Same result.
    Event Viewer doesn't show anything when I try to run it, if that's relevant at all.

Kind of inconvenient, because I just started a programming course with a Java component, and I'd like to be able to work at home.
  • 22. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    gimbal2 Guru
    user1541641 wrote:
    This does not effect every machine/OS, only some. We can install on some OS's, not on others. It appears to be a problem with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the JDK.
    The only thing I can think of is user rights / policies; they tend to be the root of most evil in my experience. That is still no reason for the installer to silently fail of course, but I fear that this is the main problem here; the installer not working may actually be for a valid reason, but it is failing to give any kind of hint as to why it is refusing :/

As a side note I would investigate if said machines are up to date. It might be that an update of windows installer, a .NET runtime or visual studio runtime is needed to get things going.
  • 23. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    906428 Newbie
    The problem persists with 7u3 on my windows XP-SP3 x86.

I am starting to investigate the possibility to compile openjdk7 with visual studio unless oracle gives a zip file.
  • 24. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    205760 Newbie
    I had different behaviours on two Windows XP SP3 x86 platforms, as follows:

- On my desktop, JDK 7u2 and 7u3 both fail to install (the installer stops silently after a few seconds). JDK 6 used to be installed (and properly working) on it. JDK 7u1 can be properly reinstalled, which tends to confirm the JavaFX issue mentioned by user 903425 (JavaFX is included in the JDK installation since version 7u2).

- On the Windows XP-mode VM on my Windows 7 laptop, JDK 7u2 installed properly. Yesterday, I removed it, including JavaFX, and installed JDK 7u3. Everything worked seamlessly. However, JDK 6 was never installed on that VM.

This gives me the clue that there might be some issue with the previous presence of a JDK 6 installation. Maybe it's wrong, but it is a clue anyway... I hope this will help find a workaround... unless Oracle provides a bulletproof installer...

Jeff
  • 25. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    906428 Newbie
    Success at last. I took the time to investigate further the problem.

I used the dirmonitor free utility http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/fileutil/ to monitor what the installer does

I found that in c:/documents and settings/(user=fithis) it creates a folder jdk7_u3-combo (something like this) and deletes it.

I created the folder and revoked the delete/delete files permisssions for the current user (FITHIS in my case).

Voila the binaries (java_jdk.exe, javafx_sdk-2_0_3-windows-i586.exe) were there after running the installer.

I copied them to a secure place (and deleted the combo folder) and checked the permissions of c: drive (OS installation) because it seemed that C:\Documents and Settings\FITHIS\Application Data\Sun\Java\jdk1.7.0_03 was not accessible when running the java_jdk.,exe

I changed the permissions for the current user to be full-control (security risk of course) and propagated them to subfolders.

Now, the magic binary java_jdk.exe works (and the fxsdk also works)

It seems to be a permissions problem as someone reported but why is not clear to me, I am usually a unix type of person (I even use msys)
  • 26. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    gimbal2 Guru
    jfmorin wrote:
    I had different behaviours on two Windows XP SP3 x86 platforms, as follows:

- On my desktop, JDK 7u2 and 7u3 both fail to install (the installer stops silently after a few seconds). JDK 6 used to be installed (and properly working) on it. JDK 7u1 can be properly reinstalled, which tends to confirm the JavaFX issue mentioned by user 903425 (JavaFX is included in the JDK installation since version 7u2).
    Sorry, but that is not it. I tried the installer and the JavaFX installer is BUNDLED, not MERGED. The JavaFX installer is simply invoked as soon as the JDK installer finishes. Even if the JavaFX installer fails, it won't affect the installation of the JDK as it at that point is already finished. (If I'm completely misunderstanding the point: sorry).

@903425: that is some pretty neat investigation work you did there. That dirmonitor seems to be a very useful tool indeed. Still its bogus that the installer silently fails in stead of reporting an access right problem.
  • 27. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    906428 Newbie
    One small addition. When copying the binaries to a secure place, check their permissions.

For me it is bogus that Oracle does not a mingw compile from source for openjdk7. openjdk-Shark removes a lot of hand written assembly. They could start from there.
  • 28. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    918110 Newbie
    For Win7, here were the steps used to get it to install based on the above instructions.

1) goto c:\Users\[your user]
    2) create jdk1.7.0_03_combo directory
    3) right click on folder and select permissions
    4) click advanced button
    5) deny delete/delete sub for each listed role/user
    6) run downloader installer
    7) goto jdk1.7.0_03 and run the java_jdk.exe (no need to copy to another dir)
  • 29. Re: Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
    205760 Newbie
    @903425: Way to go, it succeeded for me too! Thanks a lot!

@gimbal2: Don't worry, I had correctly understood the "bundle" part. In fact, it's a relief to see I was wrong: it would have been a serious compatibility issue between successive JDK versions!

Jeff

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points