10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 3:58 PM by User287063 RSS

custom application top configuration

hi all

i would like to know the steps that involve how to seed the information of custom top in sid_hostname.xml and topfile.txt so that when ever i execute autoconfig this custom top settings should not be disappear.. and i should not have to manually add this entries everytime when ever i run autoconfig or any patch ends up with autoconfig session

Regards
        • 1. Re: custom application top configuration
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Check Note: 304266.1 - Where Should Custom Top Environment Variable Get Added?
          https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=304266.1
          • 2. Re: custom application top configuration
            hi Hsawwan

please verify this steps , and update me whether this steps are enough

1)create custom top structure in $APPL_TOP/
            2)create new file by name custom<SID>_<hostname>.env under $APPL_TOP and add this entries to it
            example:
            XXCOM_TOP="/d01/prodappl/xxcom/11.5.0"
            export XXCOM

3)add the custom entries to topfile.txt under $APPL_TOP/admin

4)add the below entry to context file under $APPL_TOP/admin similar to the seeded top like AD_TOP

example :<XXCOM_TOP oa_var="s_xxdartop" oa_type="PROD_TOP" oa_enabled="FALSE">/d01apps/prodappl/xxcom/11.5.0</XXCOM_TOP>

5)run autoconfig

waiting for your reply

Regards
            • 3. Re: custom application top configuration
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
              Your steps are OK.

Just make sure you have a pointer in the application context file to the custom environment variable file (oa_var="s_custom_file"). This should point to the custom<SID>_<hostname>.env file under $APPL_TOP.
              • 4. Re: custom application top configuration
                hi hsawwan

this is what you mean ,

<oa_env_file type="custom" oa_var="s_custom_file" osd="unix">/oraclone/testappl/customPROD_appsprod.env</oa_env_file>

many thanks for updating me

Regards
                • 5. Re: custom application top configuration
                  Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                  Yes, this is the one.

You're welcome.
                  • 6. Re: custom application top configuration
                    User287063
                    Each time I add a custom line in the $CONTEXT_FILE and run autoconfig, the custom line (for the $CUSTOM_TOP) keeps getting erased.

However, the application continues to function as normal.

What am I doing wrong here?

I am noticing this only for the most recent custom top.

Two previous custom tops for which the $CONTEXT_FILE was updated with relevant entries remain and do not get erased.

Ona related note, is it necessary to stop services on the the middle tier in order to run Autoconfig?
                    • 7. Re: custom application top configuration
                      Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                      864641 wrote:
                      Each time I add a custom line in the $CONTEXT_FILE and run autoconfig, the custom line (for the $CUSTOM_TOP) keeps getting erased.

However, the application continues to function as normal.

What am I doing wrong here?

I am noticing this only for the most recent custom top.

Two previous custom tops for which the $CONTEXT_FILE was updated with relevant entries remain and do not get erased.

Ona related note, is it necessary to stop services on the the middle tier in order to run Autoconfig?
                      Yes and you need to source the new env file.

Please see these docs.

Customizing an AutoConfig Environment [ID 270519.1]
                      Using AutoConfig to Manage System Configurations in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 387859.1]

Thanks,
                      Hussein
                      • 8. Re: custom application top configuration
                        User287063
                        I have run Autoconfig many times after making changes in the $CONTEXT_FILE (without stopping the middie tier).

What am I risking by NOT stopping all mid-tier services?
                        • 9. Re: custom application top configuration
                          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                          864641 wrote:
                          I have run Autoconfig many times after making changes in the $CONTEXT_FILE (without stopping the middie tier).

What am I risking by NOT stopping all mid-tier services?
                          If you had to update a context variable then you need to bounce the application services so the application will recognize the new changes.

Thanks,
                          Hussein
                          • 10. Re: custom application top configuration
                            User287063
                            OK - Thanks. I get it now.

I was just wondering what the hell wrong I was doing - because two previous custom tops were created and are still in the <oa_customized>
                            section.

Ok - understood now. As always - you come through with the correct/helpful answer.

Thanks again.