This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 8:42 AM by RogerL (Oracle) RSS

jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP

user10101058 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
The jdk7 u3 and before it the u2 as well refuse to install; they start and die without providing any information at all as to why. I uninstalled Java from my PC before, cleaned the registry very thoroughly, still no go. Words can't express my disgust. In all the history of Java I have never encountered this situation. What kind of program dies (not from a crash) without providing some feedback to the user? Is this the best Oracle engineers can do? I filed a bug report against this situation at the time of 7u2 but obviously nothing at all was done.

I used SysInternals Process Explorer to try to gain some insight. I could see that the installer creates a directory called c:\Documents and Settings \<username>\jdk1.7.0_03_combo and writes a java_jdk.exe file to it, then deletes it! Then it does the same with javafx_sdk-2_0_3-windows-i586.exe But that doesn't help me much because the whole thing happens too fast for me to grab the files.

So, what can I do????
  • 1. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    gimbal2 Guru
    user10101058 wrote:
    Words can't express my disgust.
    Calm down. You lessen your chance of getting a proper answer if you start to vent frustrations. You pass yourself off as a hyperactive t3enager with rage issues.
    In all the history of Java I have never encountered this situation. What kind of program dies (not from a crash) without providing some feedback to the user?
    Prove that it is the fault of the Oracle engineers and not the Windows installer; which is the tool used to create the (Windows) installation process to begin with.
    Is this the best Oracle engineers can do? I filed a bug report against this situation at the time of 7u2 but obviously nothing at all was done.

I used SysInternals Process Explorer to try to gain some insight. I could see that the installer creates a directory called c:\Documents and Settings \<username>\jdk1.7.0_03_combo and writes a java_jdk.exe file to it, then deletes it! Then it does the same with javafx_sdk-2_0_3-windows-i586.exe But that doesn't help me much because the whole thing happens too fast for me to grab the files.

So, what can I do????
    Read this thread for the workaround. I'll even link you to the correct page, that's how nice a guy I really am:
    Problems Installing JDK 7u2 Windows 64-bit
  • 2. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    user10101058 Newbie
    Thanks for the suggestion to make the files undeletable. I was halfway there, having found the directory by myself, but did not think of that.

However you can't blame the MSI installer. The choice of installer tool is Oracle's; nobody is forcing MSI upon them. Thus if it doesn't work it is still Oracle's problem and they should take charge!
  • 3. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    gimbal2 Guru
    user10101058 wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion to make the files undeletable.
    It wasn't me, other people did the good work in that thread.
    However you can't blame the MSI installer. The choice of installer tool is Oracle's; nobody is forcing MSI upon them.
    I'm not blaming anything, you are the one passing blame without anything to back it up. But that is all part of your rage issues which you really should get help for. I don't want to see you ending up in a burn out.

And it only "doesn't work" on select systems which makes the problem infinitely harder to track without the help from the user base. Programming is hard.
    Thus if it doesn't work it is still Oracle's problem and they should take charge!
    Well if you feel that strongly about it, take up a support contract and complain to an Oracle representative.
  • 4. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    user10101058 Newbie
    I blame Oracle for not being proactive when ti knew and had accepted that there was a problem. After the filing of my bug (Bug ID 7125116), nobody got back to me to elicit more information or suggest debugging steps. Nobody remotely took charge of the issue: it was just closed as not reproducible. That's not the way to deliver top-notch software.
  • 5. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    gimbal2 Guru
    user10101058 wrote:
    I blame Oracle for not being proactive when ti knew and had accepted that there was a problem. After the filing of my bug (Bug ID 7125116), nobody got back to me to elicit more information or suggest debugging steps.
    Where exactly did you read that someone SHOULD have gotten back to you? You filed a bug: good job. But don't be naive thinking that because you did that people are immediately going to start running.
    Nobody remotely took charge of the issue: it was just closed as not reproducible.
    I agree that it is premature, but in a system where many bugs are reported unnecessarily, it is only to be expected that there are going to be casualties. Just like in a forum moderators will sometimes make the wrong decision and to take a far more extreme example: innocent people are in jail. This stuff happens, keep your cool. Well not about the innocent people part, feel free to go out and protest on their behalf.
    That's not the way to deliver top-notch software.
    What is 'top-notch' software? Are you full enough of yourself that you claim to be able to dictate that? I certainly am not. I settle for "good enough".
  • 6. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    user10101058 Newbie
    Maybe I am full of it indeed but software that doesn't even install fails to pass the most basic QA in my book, yes. And if users are forbidden from passing judgement on software who's entitled to an opinion: only you? Or maybe you + the Holy Ghost? It is precisely this attitude I find aggravating. A broken installer is something that warrants investigation.

But enough with that. Let us move on.
  • 7. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    gimbal2 Guru
    user10101058 wrote:
    Maybe I am full of it indeed but software that doesn't even install fails to pass the most basic QA in my book, yes.
    It fails to install on your computer, not every computer. It installs just perfectly fine on my work machine and my home machine without change. Just because little old you is affected doesn't mean that Oracle has to jump to attention. For all I know and all they know you installed Windows, loaded about 500 pieces of malware on there, removed half the DLLs by hand and are now yelling fire! fire! See how that works?
    And if users are forbidden from passing judgement on software who's entitled to an opinion: only you?
    Again: I am not passing judgement - you are. Stop trying to turn it around. You are the one coming in here red faced and stamping your foot. I'm only trying to get you to see reason.
    Or maybe you + the Holy Ghost?
    Whatever.
    It is precisely this attitude I find aggravating. A broken installer is something that warrants investigation.
    And I agree, it SHOULD be investigated and my activity in the thread I linked to won't prove otherwise. But you have to be realistic about it.
    But enough with that. Let us move on.
    I hope you can. I really do. But I do wonder why you continue to go on for such a long time. Were you perhaps under the impression that you were reaching Oracle employees here?
  • 8. Re: jdk7 refuses to install on Windows XP
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    This bug is believed to be due to the way that the JDK7 installer was configured. The configuration has been changed for 7u6.

Can you try with 7u6 and update this thread so we know if it resolves the problem?
    *7u6 EA: http://jdk7.java.net/download.html*

Bug if you are intrested: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7145760

Thank you,
    Roger

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points