5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2012 1:51 PM by 918556 RSS

problems installing Java SE 7 (JDK)

I am new to these forums. I've just attempted to download the Java SE 7 JDK for program development. Upon completion of the downloading process for the Java SE 7u3 (JDK), I click on the downloaded icon to launch the installer, and an alert appears that reads java 7u3 win x64 is not a valid win32 application. Is there a problem with the files on my computer or am I installing the application incorrectly? Thanks for any information.

Brandon
        • 1. Re: problems installing Java SE 7 (JDK)
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          I am new to these forums. I've just attempted to download the Java SE 7 JDK for program development. Upon completion of the downloading process for the Java SE 7u3 (JDK),
          Please post the link of the file you have downloaded.
          I click on the downloaded icon to launch the installer, and an alert appears that reads java 7u3 win x64 is not a valid win32 application. Is there a problem with the files on my computer or am I installing the application incorrectly? Thanks for any information.
          What is your OS?

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: problems installing Java SE 7 (JDK)
            orafad
            Welcome to the forums.

To begin with, this has nothing to do with the topic of this forum (which is about the downloads service). One of the Java forum would be more suitable, and probably the JRE one.
            https://forums.oracle.com/forums/category.jspa?categoryID=285

Simply telling from your error message report, it would seem you've picked the wrong installer thus are trying to run a x64 program on a 32-bit OS. If that's the case, please download a installer suitable for your platform.
            • 3. Re: problems installing Java SE 7 (JDK)
              The file I'm trying to download is jdk-7u3-windows-x64.exe. I've also tried jdk-7u3-windows-i586.exe and both failed to install. The entire error message reads: C:\documents and settings\MaryAnn\My Documents\Downloads\jdk-7u3-windows x64(3).exe is not a valid win32 application. My OS is Microsoft Windows XP. Thanks for any help.

Brandon
              • 4. Re: problems installing Java SE 7 (JDK)
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                Brandon,
                The file I'm trying to download is jdk-7u3-windows-x64.exe. I've also tried jdk-7u3-windows-i586.exe and both failed to install. The entire error message reads: C:\documents and settings\MaryAnn\My Documents\Downloads\jdk-7u3-windows x64(3).exe is not a valid win32 application. My OS is Microsoft Windows XP. Thanks for any help.
                You are trying to install a 64-bit software "jdk-7u3-windows-x64.exe" on a 32-bit OS and that's why you get this error.

Please download JDK for Windows x86 -- http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7u3-b05/jdk-7u3-windows-i586.exe

Thanks,
                Hussein
                • 5. Re: problems installing Java SE 7 (JDK)
                  It worked, thank you.

Brandon