3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 3:51 AM by fac586 RSS

Is there any limitation for the number the endusers

Mindmap
      Hi guys,

Is there any limitation for the number the end users ???

That depends only on the specs of the server and the Oracle edition. Is that right ??

Regards,
      Fateh
        • 1. Re: Is there any limitation for the number the endusers
          JustinCave
          The only limitation is based on your Oracle license (particularly where you're using named user licensing) and how many users your application can support on your hardware (more hardware and more efficient applications obviously help there).

Justin
          • 2. Re: Is there any limitation for the number the endusers
            Mindmap
            Thanks Justin,

I use only 11g xe. I have no idea about users license.

However, As I got from you:
            suppose I have a license for 25 users:
            Then I will utilize three of them for:
            APEX_PUBLIC_USER
            FLOWS_FILES
            APEX_040100
            For my application I can create unlimited users.
            Is that right ???

Best Regards,
            Fateh
            • 3. Re: Is there any limitation for the number the endusers
              fac586
              Fateh wrote:
              Thanks Justin,

I use only 11g xe. I have no idea about users license.
              See Oracle® Database Express Edition Licensing Information 11g Release 2 (11.2), in particular the section "License Rights". Oracle 11g Express Edition has no restrictions based on the number of users.

See also Oracle Technology Network Developer License Terms for Oracle Database Express Edition.
              However, As I got from you:
              suppose I have a license for 25 users:
              Then I will utilize three of them for:
              APEX_PUBLIC_USER
              FLOWS_FILES
              APEX_040100
              For my application I can create unlimited users.
              Is that right ???
              No. "Users" in licensing terms does not refer to database schemas (aka database users ). You may create as many database schemas as you want.

"Users" in licensing terms refers to actual human users. For editions of the Oracle database other than XE you can have named user licenses or processor licenses. Named user licenses require that you know exactly who is using the software, e.g. a named user license for 5 users allows Alice, Bob, Carlos, Dave and Fateh to use the database and any applications based on it. Obviously, for most practical purposes with internet/intranet applications developed using APEX you do not know who is using them. (For some internet applications you want as many people as possible to use them.) In these cases processor based licensing calculated on the specs of the hardware used to run the application is the norm. As the hardware capacity must increase to support the load on the system it is assumed to scale with the number of (anonymous) users. Processor licenses are therefore much more expensive than named user.