5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 4:48 PM by Hans Forbrich RSS

TNS Listener -ORA-12514 error following database shutdown - Oracle 11g

user633278
      Hi

I have hit a problem with my oracle development database.

When in sqlplus I executed the shutdown command, but nothing happened for several minutes and it was just hanging. No messages were displayed to the screen. The only thing was to close the command window. When I open sqlplus again and enter in the user name password as sysdba I am getting ORA 12514 TNS Listener could not resolve service in descriptor. This is odd as I could log on before and use the database. So I thought that the services were still shutting down I waited, and using the Windows snap on tool for Oracle 11g, I restarted the services on the database, but this has had no effect.

Even using EM made no difference because I couldn't log on to perform a startup or recovery.

So, please does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: TNS Listener -ORA-12514 error following database shutdown - Oracle 11g
          sb92075
          user633278 wrote:
          Hi

I have hit a problem with my oracle development database.

When in sqlplus I executed the shutdown command, but nothing happened for several minutes and it was just hanging. No messages were displayed to the screen. The only thing was to close the command window. When I open sqlplus again and enter in the user name password as sysdba I am getting ORA 12514 TNS Listener could not resolve service in descriptor. This is odd as I could log on before and use the database. So I thought that the services were still shutting down I waited, and using the Windows snap on tool for Oracle 11g, I restarted the services on the database, but this has had no effect.

Even using EM made no difference because I couldn't log on to perform a startup or recovery.

So, please does anyone know how I can fix this?
          open Command Window & do EXACTLY as below; line for line

sqlplus
          / as sysdba
          shutdown abort
          startup
          exit

COPY command & results from above then PASTE all back here
          • 2. Re: TNS Listener -ORA-12514 error following database shutdown - Oracle 11g
            user633278
            Hi

Thanks for replying.

Can you explain to me your final line: COPY command......

I am at home and won't be able to do anything until tomorrow. So, if there is anything that you can add to help, I would be grateful.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: TNS Listener -ORA-12514 error following database shutdown - Oracle 11g
              sb92075
              user633278 wrote:
              Hi

Thanks for replying.

Can you explain to me your final line: COPY command......
              do you know how to COPY text from one window & PASTE same text into different window?
              • 4. Re: TNS Listener -ORA-12514 error following database shutdown - Oracle 11g
                user633278
                Yes, but I wish to understand how you are helping me.

The Oracle Database is sitting on the secure network and I won't be able to copy anything off it. No CDs, DVDs, or USB sticks. So, I am looking to see what you want from it.
                • 5. Re: TNS Listener -ORA-12514 error following database shutdown - Oracle 11g
                  Hans Forbrich
                  In order to help you. sb wants to get accurate information. When you just write the question, there is too much chance of making a mistake. For example, TNS errors include ORA-12514, -12415, -12145 and -12154.

The 12514 you mention implies the alias after the @ is down, since the listener does not klnow of that iservice.

So you entered an alias for a service that was down (or possibly removed) - the TNSNAMES.ORA entry was found and pointed to a listener, but the instance is not registered to the listener, so thelistener can not conect.

Without additional accurate information, such as could be provided by copy/paste of screen info of the instance startup, we can only guess as to what might be happening in your environment.

Edited by: Hans Forbrich on Feb 22, 2012 3:48 PM