7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 11:17 AM by 852411 RSS

HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts

Hi Can one Make me clear for the following doubts?

1.A and B are 2 entities now i am going to delete B entity for this year, reason is that not having business operations. what could i do for B entity before deleting?. B is having data for

the past few years and i want that data for future purpose to analyze its operations for the past. requesting you please how to start think on this?

2. In Value dimension which one is first between these 2 Proportion or Elimination?

3. what are flagged accounts? how to understand this concept?

5. in HFM we load web objects data, what are they? is it specific to Web client or desktop client or for both? please list out all types of web objects.

6. While creating application profile we can find "Start year and Number of years". how many years Oracle has recommended? only 20 years or there is no such criteria?

7. While creating application profile we can find 6 frequencies knowing to my knowledge max we can use 4 1for Monthly, 2 for QTD, 3 for HYTD,4 for YTD. and now my doubt is that what other 2 we can use for? keeping in view of what other 2 frequency's the application has been designed for?
        • 1. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
          CBarbieri
          1) You propose deleting entity B, yet you said you require data for this entity. Do not delete the entity since once it has been deleted all data associated with this entity INCLUDING any intercompany transactions which another entity may have had with it, will be unavailable.

2) I'm not certain but I think [Proportion] comes first when considering execution of Sub Calculate. In general do not write rules which require a sequence between these two nodes, if this is your reason for asking the question.

3) "Flagged accounts" is not a standard expression. Possibly you are referring to the statement of "flagging an account" for a particular attribute. If so, this simply means to enable or set an account's attribute such as IsCalculated, or IsICP. This concept extends beyond the accounts dimension.

5) Not sure what you're looking for here. Oracle provides a great deal of documentation with its products, including an API guide.

6) There is no particular criteria. The most important consideration is selection of the start year since this can never be changed without rebuilding the application with a new profile. It is possible to add years to an application. HFM provides a utility for this with the 11.1.x release.

7) The number of frequencies available is directly related to the period structure you define in the application profile. Most applications use:
          Periodic (= Monthly)
          Quarterly
          Yearly

I occasionally see Half Year though this is uncommon. Weekly applications can have an additional frequency, where Periodic = Week to Date, and then Monthly is above Periodic. I suppose in this case you could have five frequencies:
          Periodic
          Monthly
          Quarterly
          HalfYearly
          Yearly

Daily is not recommended for HFM.

I recommend not creating more frequencies than you truly need. Although this doesn't seem to have an impact on application performance, it does present the users with more options to click through when choosing a point of view. Consider that every user every day will click on the point of view selector many times, so reducing the number of clicks required can have a large impact on your users.

--Chris                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
          • 2. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
            Hi Chris,

Please read the below doubts after i gone through your answers

1.yes i know if we delete an entity there are so many accounts associated with it.(earlier this entity(LOB) might have good Line of business, but the current year our Finance group head came to know that this entity no more required in terms of its business operations. now tell me when this information received in my lotus notes what could i need to recall the HFM application knowledge as a Consultant? in the HFM application what activities i should start to deside this question.

2. yes i done Proportion only first as same with the application also. it is Complete finance and Accounting knowledge is required to judge this one.

3. what you said is right

4. Web objects what you mentioned is no way related to API something. please make me clear in a complete gamut on this

5. how many years we can maintain once we enter in the start year. is there any specific number of years oracle has recommended like 20 or 30 years max we can enter in the application?

6. yes i know but they mentioned in the application profile 6 frequencies. i am fine and know 1.weekly2.monthly3.quarterly4.Half yearly5.yearly. what is the 6 frequency we can use and keeping in view of what other frequency the application has designed 6 frequencies.
            • 3. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
              hi
              6.Is the sixth frequency was trimester?

regards
              SV
              • 4. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
                in 11.1.1.3 version we can have number of years up to 100 only

regards
                SV
                • 5. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
                  There is no concept of number of years as 100 in 11.1.1.3.
                  • 6. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
                    Hi,
                    for your 1st question
                    1) You propose deleting entity B, yet you said you require data for this entity. Do not delete the entity since once it has been deleted all data associated with this entity INCLUDING any intercompany transactions which another entity may have had with it, will be unavailable. So you Inactivate the Entity which you dont need in process management-->Ownership management--> select the parent entity (If it is there), otherwise you can select the entity and click the Activate column mention NO. thats it, so there is no question of loose the data of that particular entity for past years.
                    • 7. Re: HFM Application Design Basic and important doubts
                      Hi,

It is Such a Good explanation i am so thankful to you