5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 8:52 PM by Nik

ZFS and NFS

user7943994
      I'm trying to share a zfs file system via nfs to several hosts. I've looked at the official Oracle documentation and it seems to be lacking (or I'm looking in the wrong place).

I can do a zfs set sharenfs=rw data/set and use the mount command on the nfs clients and that works fine, but the volume is mounted read-only. How do I mount it read-write?

Also, I thought the 'zfs' command had a mount option for zfs/nfs volumes, is that no longer the case (perhaps it never has been?)?

Some google results have turned up mention of /etc/zfs/exports being updated whenever a sharenfs option is changed, but that file isn't being created for me. Has it been deprecated?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
        • 1. Re: ZFS and NFS
          Nik
          Hi.

Please show result:

dfshares ( from NFS server)
          mount -p ( from NGS client)

Why you thing that client mount shares RO ?

Check permissions for working dir. Create test dir on the server and set 777 permissions on test.

Regards.
          • 2. Re: ZFS and NFS
            user7943994
            Nik,

You are correct, the file system is mounted rw afterall. The ownership of the mount point on the client is nobody, so I su'd to nobody and tried to create files but couldn't. I can as root though.

I've changed the ownership of the NFS file system on the server to oracle:dba. I have an oracle:dba on the client with the same uid/gid, but the ownership of the files still says nobody. How do I make it show up as oracle?

Also, is the mount command the correct way to mount zfs nfs volumes?

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: ZFS and NFS
              Nik
              Hi.
              It's look like security issue.

1. Check that system can resolve both. System should be in same domain.

2. In case can't resolve this issue. On client side set NFS_version=2

mount -o vers=2 ..........

But it's - only as workaround for short time.

Regards.
              • 4. Re: ZFS and NFS
                user7943994
                I've confirmed that the systems can resolve each other. They're also both under the same domain.

I also manually set the domain in /etc/default/nfs but that didn't help either.

It works fine if I flip over to v2 but I'd rather use v4 as its the default.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
                • 5. Re: ZFS and NFS
                  Nik
                  Hi.
                  After edit /etc/default/nfs you reboot you system or restart NFS_Server ((svc:/network/nfs/server) ?

You edit this value on server/client side or on both ?

On server and client at /etc/resolve.conf use domainname or search record ?
                  Or you use /etc/dedaultdomain ?

Regards.