This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2012 4:22 AM by tychos RSS

IBM Guardium with Exadata !

886225 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi,

I have a question:

Do The IBM's Guardium can monitor the Exadata database completely ?

Are there any unsupported from Oracle when using Exadata monitored by IBM's Guardium ?

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    Marc Fielding Journeyer
    At the database level, Exadata runs Oracle RAC, so I'd expect the same capabilities on Exadata as any other Oracle RAC environment (though the official answer here would have ot come from IBM). My understanding of Guardium is that it provides security and audit capabilities at the database level only, and not of, say, OS or storage. So I wouldn't consider Guardium alone to offer "complete" monitoring for any platform, including Exadata.

Marc
  • 2. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    886225 Newbie
    Thanks Marc,

At this time, nothing cant happen.

As I remember Guardium can monitor/check at file level (checksum ...), not only database itself.

Exadata is a very special product of Oracle (cant simulate Exadata in virtual enviroment, am i right ?), so i'm afraid there some unsupported from Oracle for Guardium.

Regards.
  • 3. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    andy.colvin Oracle ACE
    I don't work for Oracle, so I can't give an official response, but it should be fine. Because Exadata's database servers run a standard installation of OEL 5.5, I don't see why it wouldn't be supported, as long as it's supported on a standard Linux/Oracle install. Oracle does allow third party software to be installed on the database servers. It would not be supported on the storage cells, as Oracle's stance is that nothing can be installed on those.
  • 4. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    Marc Fielding Journeyer
    File change monitoring on Exadata would work much the same way as on any other Oracle 11gR2 database running RAC and ASM. My question would be: what type of files are you looking to monitor for changes? In the Exadata context:
    - Oracle datafiles, redo logs, control files, and parameter files are stored in ASM
    - Archivelogs, flashback logs, etc are stored in the FRA, which is typically ASM as well
    - Database software files, audit trail, and message logs are stored on local Linux ext3 filesystems
    - Storage server software and logs are stored on storage servers. Oracle odes not permit third-party monitoring agents, such as Guardium, to be installed on storage servers. This is akin to most SAN vendors who do not allow third-party monitoring tools to run on SAN controllers either.

Hope this helps!

Marc
  • 5. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    886225 Newbie
    Thanks Marc,

I have another question:

In which case Oracle will not support IBM's Guardium anymore ? can this happen in the near future ? and why not ?

I make this question because the Audit-Vault solution is quite slow performance and not use much in the real Oracle system (just a few company use it to monitor the Oracle Database)

Thanks.
  • 6. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    Dan.Norris Employee ACE
    I am quite sure Oracle has never supported IBM's products and doubt that will change. IBM determines what versions their products will work with and does their own testing. Note also that Oracle doesn't support more-common software like backup software such as Legato Networker or Veritas Netbackup. The vendors of that software test and support their products, but Oracle doesn't support the products.
  • 7. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    886225 Newbie
    in biz, I think Oracle should do that.

That's their properties and they have rights to do that and should do that.
  • 8. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    886225 Newbie
    Hi,

Any official updates or references about this ?

Regards.
  • 9. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    tychos Expert
    Hi,
    You had two questions.
    Do The IBM's Guardium can monitor the Exadata database completely ?
    Reading the IBM document on Guardium
    http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/imd14286caen/IMD14286CAEN.PDF
    the answer is "No not to the extend Grid Control can".
    Are there any unsupported from Oracle when using Exadata monitored by IBM's Guardium ?
    Maybe you can add some more details to this question.
    You will lose support as you are not allowed to install third party software on some Exadata components.
    Regards,
    Tycho
  • 10. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    886225 Newbie
    hi,

your anwser make me more confuse : "the answer is "No not to the extend Grid Control can". Please simply your saying.

I just want to know that: does Guardium can monitor database running on exadata box *completely* (as in standard oracle database) ?

Regards.

Edited by: user8710247 on Feb 26, 2012 8:46 AM
  • 11. Re: IBM Guardium with Exadata !
    tychos Expert
    Hi,
    If I understand you correctly you better check the Guardium forum.
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=418476&tstart=0
    Regards,
    Tycho

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points