This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2012 8:26 AM by 838745 RSS

Clinet device mapping..

838745 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am trying to use CDM so user could use Windows share folder. I am following the direction listed in ‘Admin Guide’ on page 262.

This is what I did so far:

I started creating a share folder on one of the Windows 2003 machine. Machine name is SGDOFFICE10 and folder name is SGDOFFICE. Shared folder is available and easily could be mapped from any Windows machine.

I also installed SGDEnhancement Module for MicrosoftWindows on same machine.

Next, I modified client.prf file as listed below:

## Config file for the ttatdm daemon.
[setup/version={(4.5)}]
[nfsserver/mount/port={(4242)}]
[nfsserver/mount/realserver={(sgdoffice10)}]
[nfsserver/mount/mountpoint={(/sgdoffice$)}]
[nfsserver/client/timeout={(5)}]
[nfsserver/server/usercache/mode={(0)}]
[nfsserver/server/encoding/rpc={(UTF-8)}]

Then I logon to SGD admin site and enabled CDM under global settings.

Next I am trying to start CDM process on application server:

# /opt/ta_tem/bin/tem startcdm

But getting the following error:

# tem startcdm
Starting the ttatdm daemon...
Using configuration file client.prf from /opt/tta_tem/etc.
Started OK. Process ID: 30553.
mount.nfs: mount point /sgdoffice$ does not exist
Failed to mount /sgdoffice$

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Habib.
  • 1. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    805861 Newbie
    CDM is to map client drives onto the application server. It's not clear what your application server platform is in your post. Also, you didn't mention what client device you were using.

Can you also be a bit more descriptive on what you meant by "user could use Windows share folder"? May be CDM is not what you should be after.
  • 2. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    838745 Newbie
    Hi Dave,

My goal is to map a “Windows Share folder” residing on ‘Windows 2003 Enterprise Server’ through SGD 4.5. SGD is installed on Red Hat 5.7.

Unless I am misunderstanding, I got impression that ‘Windows Share folder’ could be accessible through SGD. SGD 4.5 (document 820-6689), page 263 explain:

Remapping or Hiding Microsoft Windows Application Server Drives

Sure it doesn’t say Server Share Folder and I assumed it will work with shared folder. Am I wrong?

If CDM is not the answer, is there any way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Habib.
  • 3. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    805861 Newbie
    So, are you trying to map a Windows folder (on a server) onto SGD server? Where does the client part comes in?

Again, back to my original questions:
    - what's your application server (what applications are you accessing via SGD)?
    - what's your client platform?

If you are only doing Windows server share to SGD server, how do you plan to make that available to your users? And to what user devices?
  • 4. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    838745 Newbie
    Hi Dave,

That’s true, I am trying to map Windows shared folder through SGD client via web.

http://server.com/SGD

Regarding

- what's your application server (what applications are you accessing via SGD)?

Windows 2003 servers running SAS and SPSS applications.

- what's your client platform?

Windows XP or Windows 7, using IE 8.

If you are only doing Windows server share to SGD server, how do you plan to make that available to your users? And to what user devices?

Based on my understanding of what I read (I may be completely off) I am assuming this is should be available as another mapped drive within application.

I am looking at this site:

http://secure.accessaims.com/tarantella/help/en-us/base/gettingstarted/cdm.html

I would like to accomplish almost same, except instead of physical drive, I would like to map a shared folder.

Looking at the ‘Client Device’ portion of ‘Global Settings’ in SGDADMIN console, it says:

Gives users access to the drives or file systems on their client device from applications running on an application server. Changes take effect for new user sessions
    I am wondering how that file system works without being mapped this on client machine.

Technically when we RDP to windows box all the mapped drives on that box is available to user, worse come worse I could map the shared drive there.

Thanks again for all the hlelp.
  • 5. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    805861 Newbie
    CDM stands for "Client Drive Mapping". What it does is to map "client drive" onto application server (your Windows 2003 server) so that the applications (SAS & SPSS) could see the client drives (for example, C: in your Windows XP devices.)

If I'm not mistaken, what you are trying to do is to map the shared folder on Windows 2003, which also happens to be your application server. CDM is not for this purpose.
  • 6. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    838745 Newbie
    Hi Dave,

You are right. I was afraid of it. What actually confused me it says:

Gives users access to the drives or file systems

How the file system works? If not CDM, is there anything else can be done?

Thanks for all the help.

Habib.
  • 7. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    805861 Newbie
    I'm not sure that I still understand your problem unless I totally missed what you are trying to do. My understanding is that your shared drive is on the Windows 2003 server. Your users access the SAS & SPSS applications on the same server via SGD. So, all you have to do is to make the shared folder visible to the users on the server.
  • 8. Re: Clinet device mapping..
    838745 Newbie
    Hi Dave,

Only difference is that application on different server and shared on different (both on Win 2003 server though) that's why I was looking for CDM, but as you mentioned CDM is not for that purpose. I am gonig to take your advise and just have that shared folder visible on those machine.

Thanks again for all the help.

Habib.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points