This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 8:55 AM by Barry McGillin RSS

Clear command didn't work in 3.1

920371 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Before 3.1, the "clear" command in script will clear the output window(it is same as ctrl+shift+d). But now 3.1 didn't works for me. Does anybody know why?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Clear command didn't work in 3.1
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

Thank you for reporting this minor regression. Using the documented full syntax of "clear screen" seems to work, however. Also: "clear scr".

I logged an internal bug for you:
    Bug 13786485 - REGRESSION: CLEAR SCREEN ABBREVIATION TO CLEAR NO LONGER CLEARS SCRIPT OUTPUT

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 2. Re: Clear command didn't work in 3.1
    920371 Newbie
    Gary:

Thank you. “clear screen” works.
    Can you tell me where I can find the document of abbreviation and their full syntax(not only the clear command but also other commands)? Is that same as sqlplus(http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16604/ch_twelve001.htm)?

Thanks
    Michael
  • 3. Re: Clear command didn't work in 3.1
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi Michael,

For SQL*Plus the link you gave is perfect. As you can see there are other things to clear beyond just the screen. For SQL Developer, I'm not sure exactly what level of support we currently provide, or intend to provide in future releases. In general, there is no guarantee of a one-to-one mapping between SQL*PLus and SQL Developer in terms of scripting language support. Find the SQL Developer-specific help document as follows:

Help|Table of Contents|SQL Developer Concepts and Usage|Using the SQL Worksheet|SQL*Plus Statement Supported and Not Supported...

Regards,
    Gary

Edited by: Gary Graham on Feb 28, 2012 10:40 AM
    Probably requiring "screen" is due to added support for other forms of "clear", perhaps "clear breaks" and so on, for better formatting control.
  • 4. Re: Clear command didn't work in 3.1
    Barry McGillin Journeyer
    clear does not work. and doesnt work in SQL*Plus.
    We have been working to more closely align our command support with the functionality displayed in sqlplus.

As per the sqlplus doc, clear scr and clear screen work.

Thanks
    B

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points