6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2012 10:28 PM by swesley_perth RSS

APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box

user120006
      I am using Apex 4.1
      And would like to use a similar popup message box to what Apex has when you click on a label that has help defined.

For a list that is created in shared area I am wanting to use the userdefined area 1 as the message text to tell users a bit more about an icon option when they take their mouse over the field label.

Is the popup message that is used for HELP something that can be called.

I saw in previous posts about creating a separate form and calling it through a java script call. It can't still be that difficult in 4.1 since they have the field level help.

Any help is appreciated.

greG
        • 1. Re: APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box
          swesley_perth
          The templates for labels (Optional, optional with help etc) are where you can modify the behaviour of what happens when you click item help.
          • 2. Re: APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box
            user120006
            How do you specify a label template for shared compared list?
            I may be missing something but I can see for a regular item that there is a place to set the
            label template and specify help, but for a List, I really don't see that for the List items.

I want to give more information about the list item and am not seeing a way to do that.

If you can point me to a location and a way to do it for a list item It would be appreciated.

thanks
            greG
            • 3. Re: APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box
              swesley_perth
              Sorry, I misinterpreted what you were asking.

Lists are very customisable. The attributes field and custom attributes can all be used within the list template. I've seen lists do some amazing things.

Would a tooltip be sufficient?
              http://www.grassroots-oracle.com/2011/01/adding-tooltips-to-your-apex-report.html
              • 4. Re: APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box
                user120006
                That my friend is perfect. THanks so much.
                Like the website too. I have that one bookmarked.
                I am an old form developer with some fairly decent web experience, but finding the tricks and tips of apex
                is quite enjoyable, thanks to folks like yourself.
                THanks again
                greG
                • 5. Re: APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box
                  user120006
                  One final thing on this, in the way of posting what I did.

For the List Item of a List Details Shared component,
                  I put the Help text I wanted in the User Defined Attributes 1 field. This means that to access it I will be using #A01# tag

Then in the Attributes of the very same list item I included the following code.

< width = "25" height = "25" onmouseover="toolTip_enable(event,this,'#A01#')" >

The part that is of note is the onmouseover part. This is what causes the tool tip to come up.

Also note that if you want to make the tooltip multiple lines just put in a

<
                  > in the actual text and it will split it.

I am still trying to find out how to change either the background color of the tooltip or the text.

I am leaving that for another day though.

Edited by: GBeck on Mar 2, 2012 11:36 AM

Edited by: GBeck on Mar 2, 2012 11:37 AM

Edited by: GBeck on Mar 2, 2012 11:37 AM
                  • 6. Re: APEX 41 Field Help like popup message box
                    swesley_perth
                    You're welcome, and thank you for providing further details of what you did.

To make things look like this
                    my_code := 'readable';
                    in future, try surrounding your code with these tags like

:-)