This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 2, 2012 2:59 AM by jan RSS

Re: cx_Oracle DLL load failed

916253 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I am having a problem with cx_Oracle module for Python:
I have multiple Oracle Clients installed. I am only interested in accessing the 10g with Python.
I'm running Python 2.7.2 (python-2.7.2.msi)
I've installed cx_Oracle for Python 2.7 and Oracle 10g (cx_Oracle-5.1.1-10g.win32-py2.7.msi)

I thought placing the 10g path at the front of the PATH would fix my problem.

My last check is to verify the %PATH% environment setting is changed via Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings... curses my company has me locked out!!!
import cx_Oracle
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
import cx_Oracle
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
Path:

echo %PATH%
c:\Oracle\10g\FullClient\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin\;C:\Oracle\8.0\jdk\bin\;C:\Oracle\8i\bin\;C:\Oracle\8.0\BIN\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Windows Imaging\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\SecureLogin\;C:\Oracle\10g\FullClient\bin\;C:\Program Files\Axalto\Access Client\v5\;C:\Program Files\1E\SMSNomad

I recall that to get Python talking to Oracle on my personal laptop I needed to install Oracle Instant Client.

I’m not sure if that is required.

Any ideas would be much appreciated,
-Greg

Edited by: 913250 on Feb 9, 2012 8:12 AM
  • 1. Re: cx_Oracle DLL load failed
    jan Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Not experienced with the windows implementation, only on linux ... but maybe it may help ...
    cx_Oracle is only the bridge between python and the oci interfaces of Oracle, an exposure of the c-api's towards python.
    On linux you must set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to the location where the oracle client libraries can be found. (typically something linke libclntsh.so.*). So ... I guess that on a windows environment the client dll's should be in the path (%PATH%) ... Hope somebody can confirm or correct this. Maybe it may help ...