1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 1:16 PM by Greybird-Oracle RSS

BDB JE on Android as a spatial DB. Is it a good choice?

I would like to use BDB JE for spatial database queries (text search for geo-objects). Is it a good choice?
      I had read a docu and understood that the BDB has a better productivity than standard SQLite for Android .
      There is no support for spatial indexes in BDB. Is it true?
      That means that someone must develop this type of indexes :) (It would be a good choice for my MA).

Thanks in advance.

Yaro.

Edited by: 918843 on Mar 5, 2012 9:44 AM

Edited by: 918843 on Mar 5, 2012 9:47 AM
        • 1. Re: BDB JE on Android as a spatial DB. Is it a good choice?
          Greybird-Oracle
          I would like to use BDB JE for spatial database queries (text search for geo-objects). Is it a good choice?
          There is no support for spatial indexes in BDB. Is it true?
          That means that someone must develop this type of indexes (It would be a good choice for my MA).>

BDB JE has not special support for spacial queries and does not have a spacial index (R-tree). It only has a B-tree index. There are no plans to add an R-tree index. So to be honest, you would probably be better off to use a product that has a R-tree index. Also, BDB JE does not have built-in text search.
          I had read a docu and understood that the BDB has a better productivity than standard SQLite for Android .
          By productivity I think you mean performance. You're probably referring to the BDB product (C-based product), not BDB JE. Please post questions about BDB to its forum:
          Berkeley DB

--mark