14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 6:47 AM by TopshotSystems RSS

XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.

Well, I've read a great deal and tried a few things without success, so let me turn my queries upside down and ask for help this way:
      I'm developing a Winforms App under /Net V4 using VC# 2010 Express. I use both Windows XP Pro SP3 and Vista Home Basic to develop the App and it is intended run on each of these system. I wanted a stand-alone, local RDBMS to reside on the same machine as the App. I need it to be free for use and distributable without charge - for the first while anyway.

The C# code now uses the more generic DBProviderFactory (System.Dada.Common) classes (DbConnection, DbCommandBuilder, etc). It would be nice if Oracle software integrated that way. I also use DataTables and DataSets and VC# lets me view table data from those objects. It would be nice to have that also supported. Creating and opening a database using Database Explorer (Serve rExplorer in normal VS) would also be welcome.

Given that I'm using the Express edition of Visual Studio, besides Oracle XE, what should I be installing and why?

Do I need ODP.NET?

How much of ODAC will actually work with VS Express?

Edited by: LouOttawa on Dec 22, 2011 4:51 PM
        • 1. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
          Christian.Shay -Oracle
          LouOttawa wrote:
          The C# code now uses the more generic DBProviderFactory (System.Dada.Common) classes (DbConnection, DbCommandBuilder, etc). It would be nice if Oracle software integrated that way. I also use DataTables and DataSets and VC# lets me view table data from those objects. It would be nice to have that also supported.
          Creating and opening a database using Database Explorer (Serve rExplorer in normal VS) would also be welcome.

Given that I'm using the Express edition of Visual Studio, besides Oracle XE, what should I be installing and why?

Do I need ODP.NET?
          Yes, you should install ODP.NET.

How much of ODAC will actually work with VS Express?
          The other key component, Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio cannot work with the Express edition of Visual Studio so there will be no integration with Database Explorer and therefore designers and wizards that depend on it will not work. You will generate more code manually and will need to use an external tool to explore the database such as Oracle SQL Explorer.
          • 2. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
            orafad
            >
            ... tool to explore the database such as Oracle SQL Explorer.
            Did you mean Oracle SQL Developer or is there a new tool in town?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer
            • 3. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
              Christian.Shay -Oracle
              orafad wrote:
              ... tool to explore the database such as Oracle SQL Explorer.
              Did you mean Oracle SQL Developer or is there a new tool in town?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer
              Sorry, I meant SQL Developer.
              • 4. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                TopshotSystems
                cshay wrote:

The other key component, Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio cannot work with the Express edition of Visual Studio so there will be no integration with Database Explorer and therefore designers and wizards that depend on it will not work. You will generate more code manually and will need to use an external tool to explore the database such as Oracle SQL Explorer.
                Christian,
                Are you saying that you can't even "Connect to Database" in Database Explorer? I just installed the latest xcopy version (only ASP.NET4) since I had read ODT wouldn't work with Express, but I figured I could at least make a connection. Sounds like I have to code it all by hand then. Are there samples around? This is my first chance to play with Oracle and .NET and I need to get it finished soon. Thank you.

Peace,
                Michael
                • 5. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                  Christian.Shay -Oracle
                  TopshotSystems wrote:
                  Christian,
                  Are you saying that you can't even "Connect to Database" in Database Explorer? I just installed the latest xcopy version (only ASP.NET4) since I had read ODT wouldn't work with Express, but I figured I could at least make a connection. Sounds like I have to code it all by hand then. Are there samples around? This is my first chance to play with Oracle and .NET and I need to get it finished soon. Thank you.

Peace,
                  Michael
                  That's correct. If you use the Visual Studio express edition, you will have to do all your ODP.NET coding manually since Database Explorer and all designers and wizards can only connect to file based databases like SS Compact or Excel and cannot connect to "server" based databases like Oracle (which require the add-ins to do so).

This becomes a significant issue with Entity Designer in particular. If you are using Entity Designer, I suggest you upgrade to one of the "paid for" Visual Studio versions.
                  • 6. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                    TopshotSystems
                    cshay wrote:
                    That's correct. If you use the Visual Studio express edition, you will have to do all your ODP.NET coding manually since Database Explorer and all designers and wizards can only connect to file based databases like SS Compact or Excel and cannot connect to "server" based databases like Oracle (which require the add-ins to do so).

This becomes a significant issue with Entity Designer in particular. If you are using Entity Designer, I suggest you upgrade to one of the "paid for" Visual Studio versions.
                    I'd be connecting to an existing database so that shouldn't be an issue. I should just need to find a relevant sample app with code and should be able to cut and paste the database connection and interaction sections, modifying them for my particular scenario. Is that correct? Or have I missed how to do that in the massive documentation for ODP.NET? It seemed like it was only showing how to do things through the Tool add-ons. Thank you.

Peace,
                    Michael
                    • 7. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                      Christian.Shay -Oracle
                      There's a few places you can go aside from the docs.

First off is the samples directory installed in your oracle home:
                      ORACLE_HOME\odp.net\samples

We also have Oracle By Example walkthroughs:

A few of them do not rely on wizards:
                      http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=44785:24:0::NO:24:P24_CONTENT_ID,P24_PREV_PAGE:5178,2

However, if you decide to use entity framework, you will need the model .EDMX and without the wizard it would be very difficult to create that.

Thanks,
                      Christian
                      • 8. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                        TopshotSystems
                        Christian,
                        I must have loaded the barebones install as the only subdirectories under odp.net are bin, doc and PublisherPolicy. I'll look into reinstalling it later.

Thank you for the help.

Peace,
                        Michael
                        • 9. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                          TopshotSystems
                          Will ODT work with Visual Studio 11 Beta?
                          • 10. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                            Christian.Shay -Oracle
                            TopshotSystems wrote:
                            Will ODT work with Visual Studio 11 Beta?
                            Unlikely. We will make a formal announcement when we are all set to work with it. (no date known right now).

If you are desperate, MS used to have a 90 date trial of VS 2010... you could look for that.
                            • 11. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                              TopshotSystems
                              OK. I just tried with VS 2008 Professional and it doesn't seem to work there either unless I need an older version of ODAC. I had downloaded the latest. I see Oracle 11g ODAC 11.1.0.6.21 with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio specifically says it supports VS 2008.

I'm connecting to 10.2 databases.

Maybe it is my problem. I assumed I would at least be able to see the ODP.NET driver in the data provider list, but I installed the XCOPY version. Do I have to install the ODT version in order for that to show up there?
                              • 12. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                                Christian.Shay -Oracle
                                You don't need an older version of ODAC.... VS2008 SP1 is supported with the latest ODAC.

Don't install the XCOPY version. You need ODT, which is only included in the full install.

You should use 11.2.0.3 since theres bug fixes.

The VS2010 trial is here:
                                http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/try

If you want to use entity framework you will need to use VS2010.
                                • 13. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                                  TopshotSystems
                                  I'll install the full version tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm not sure why I'd need the entity framework for my situation so I won't worry about that for now. I see there are tutorials on it so I can check it out sometime.

Thank you for the prompt responses, Christian.

Peace,
                                  Michael
                                  • 14. Re: XE, ODT, and VC# 2010 Express.
                                    TopshotSystems
                                    I thought of one more question. :) As far as Oracle is concerned, the client (for a web page) doesn't need anything installed. Those will just be terminals running IE. The webserver, which also happens to have the database, just needs the XCOPY version installed. I don't think it has the standard client installed, but that shouldn't be needed anyway since instant client would be installed by ODAC. I can eliminate need for TNSNAMES by fully specifying the connection string. Do I have all that correct?

Peace,
                                    Michael