This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2012 3:24 AM by ChrisJenkins RSS

can I create table wise replication by using active standby pair

868639 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi ,

can we create table wise replication by using active standby pair in times-ten and if it is possible then can i add new table or alter table without stopping or dropping replication agents.

and also i need some clarification between the data store replication and table-wise replication what are the advantages and disadvantages over in these two scenarios.

thanks in advance,
Praveen.
  • 1. Re: can I create table wise replication by using active standby pair
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    TimesTen A/S pair is 'whole database' replication but you can exclude specific tables/cache groups/sequences if you so desire (see the EXCLUDE syntax). Table level replication is only available when you are using legacy replication.

With A/S pair (and legacy replication), ALTER TABLE ADD/DROP column DDL is replicated. Other ALTER TABLE DDL is not replicated and in general cannot be executed against replicated tables. For both replication types you can create new tables while replication is acgtive and, for A/S pair, the CREATE TABLEDDL can be optionally replicated if you want. If you do not choose to replicate the DDL (or you are using legacy replication) and you want to include the new table in replication then you need to ALTER replication and this requires that you stop the replicagtion agent while you execute the ALTER REPLICATION statement but this does not result in any data loss (replication continues to track changes even when the agent is stopped).

The choice between A/S pair and legacy (table level) replication is mostly driven by requirements. If you are looking to achieve HA then A/S pair is the way top go. Also, if youy are using Oracle cacheing then again A/S pair is usually preferred since you cannot really replicate cache tables using legacy replciation. A/S pair is really the current/future replication technology for TimesTen; legacy replicatgion (my term) is, well, legacy ...

Chris
  • 2. Re: can I create table wise replication by using active standby pair
    868639 Newbie
    thanks chris,

but currently in our production environment we are using A/S (datastore) pair replication and the TT version is 11.2.1.0.3.

now we planning to upgrade the timesten version to 11.2.1.8 which allows to the DDL(ADD or DROP TABLE and alter ADD column) commmands without stopping the replication agent .

can you suggest me what are steps or procedure to follow upgrade process in timesten from 11.2.1.0.3 to 11.2.1.8 and how we can add new table and column in A/S pair without stopping the replication agents in 11.2.1.8.
  • 3. Re: can I create table wise replication by using active standby pair
    ChrisJenkins Guru
    You can do a rolling upgrade to get both nodes up to 11.2.1.8.x. I would striongkly recommend that you download the very latest 11.2.1.8.x release from your platform from MOS rather than use vanilla 11.2.1.8.0. Th upgrade procedure is quite straightforward and is explained in the TimesTen replication guide.

Once you are on 11.2.1.8.x you can use the CConnection attributes DDLReplicationLevel and DDLReplicationAction to control when/if CREATE TABLE statements get replicated. As I said previously, ALTER TABLE ADD/DROp columns is always replicated even in 11.2.1.3.0.

As with all upgrades, you should of course thoroughly test this out on a production equivalent test environment before comitting to a production upgrade.

Chris

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points