10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 3:12 AM by user279104 RSS

Many portals in one portal application?

user279104
      Hi,

I'm developing portal application. I need to have many "virtual" portals within the same portal, i.e. one portal for employees, different portal for managers, etc. Portals would have different set of pages, different component layout, but will share at least 80% of taskflows, CSS styles, etc. Is it possible to have one portal application and create some kind of realms or organizations within it, define separate set of pages and layouts?

If I were developing with Liferay Portal, I'd create many organizations with different set of pages, layouts, resources etc. Is there something similar to that concept in Oracle Webcenter?
        • 1. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
          Daniel Merchán
          Hi.

Watching your requirements so you probably need is WebCenter Spaces instead of a WebCenter application portal.
          With WebCenter Spaces you have a template for creating portals where you can assign resources such as CSS, etc ... Task Flows independently.

However, if you want to create a WebCenter Portal application for each Portal that you want. You can deploy Task Flows and ADF Skins as Shared Libs to share resources in your Portals.

Regards.

Edited by: Daniel Merchán on 12-mar-2012 12:59
          • 2. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
            user279104
            I have to use portal, because I relay almost 100% on my custom taskflows and page structure, I need to have 100% custom look with absolutely no relations to Spaces layout. As far as I see, custom portal is my way to go. I have my taskflows already packed as shared library, so now I also need to package by portal skin as shared library, right?

So basically I need many portal application instances, with each instance holding only page templates and pages definitions?

Edited by: Maciej Nowicki on 2012-03-12 06:06
            • 3. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
              Yannick Ongena
              Like Daniel said, Spaces seems like the solution for you.

For further information about when to use portal and when to use spaces, you can have a look at my blog post: http://yonaweb.be/webcenter_portal_vs_webcenter_spaces_0
              • 4. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                user279104
                Thanks Yannick, however I followed this guide and also your advices you gave me once in another thread, to choose custom portal application as my way to go. I use almost only my custom taskflows, and all webcenter taskflows I use have to be highly customized to fit my needs.

Also, my protal(s) is only a thin HTML client to backend systems - I don't have UCM/LDAP servers underneath. All information comes from 3rd party system and is rendered in my custom taskflows. Therefore you adivsed me to go with custom portal. And still I think it's a better way with application that won't use any spaces features, is it correct?
                • 5. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                  rgouw
                  The decision when to use WebCenter Portal or WebCenter Portal: Spaces is not always easy to make.
                  It depends on a lot of factors.
                  When you ask someone 'should I use on or the other when I want ...' the answer might be one
                  However, with one additional requirement, the answer might be the other.

When I read these requirements I tend to agree with Yannick. (first advise)
                  WebCenter Portal seems the one to use.
                  However, when you add the requirement to easily 'create' an application with different pages etc. Spaces might be a better fit.
                  In Spaces you can (re)create a completely different UI as well.
                  It will give you the flexibility to create a different app quite easily.

If you want to stick to WebCenter Portal, you could create a set of pages with navigations etc.
                  Depending on the role of the user you could grant him access to pages or the entire 'application'

Hope this helps in your decision.

Regards,

Rob
                  • 6. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                    Yannick Ongena
                    I see why you need to use portal instead of spaces. In your case the reason to use portal is more important than the reasons to use spaces.
                    Because spaces provides some OOTB functionality like the spaces, you will need to develop them yourself.

Some information that can help you in this: the way webcenter works is by assigning a "scope" to a page. A scope is exactly what a group space is in webcenter spaces. When you examin the page service or "create page" taskflow, you will see that there is a parameter for the scope. This is exactly what you need to define your different "portals". Each portal will have their own scope.

If you also want to have different resource catalogs for each portal, you will need to write a resource catalog selector that returns the name of the RC based upon some business logic (which could be the scope).
                    • 7. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                      Hi,

As per my understanding you want to develop portals for mutiple stake holders for example ( Mangers Portal, Agent Portal and Employee Portal etc...) Here are my suggestion:

1) Build a Common Public Page with options to login for (Manage,Agent and Employee).

2.) All these stake holders need to belong to thier specific LDAP security group.

3.) On login check user belongs to which security group and then re-direct them to thier specfic landing page.

4.) So basically based on login user group yoc can re-direct him to specific portal.

5.) If you don't want to do like this then you need to create seperate application and deploy it on Webcenter Server.

6.) Configure reverese proxy to re-direct it to specific portals.

7.) In this case all portal URL need to be registered with ISP provider.

Regards,
                      Vindhyachal Sharma
                      • 8. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                        user279104
                        When I read these requirements I tend to agree with Yannick. (first advise)
                        WebCenter Portal seems the one to use.
                        However, when you add the requirement to easily 'create' an application with different pages etc. Spaces might be a better fit.
                        In Spaces you can (re)create a completely different UI as well.
                        It will give you the flexibility to create a different app quite easily.

If you want to stick to WebCenter Portal, you could create a set of pages with navigations etc.
                        Depending on the role of the user you could grant him access to pages or the entire 'application'
                        Hi Rob,

I try to follow your advice. So if I get you right, I can create many navigations within my portal application. As Yannick suggested, I can set a scope on every navigation. However, each navigation referes to page hierarchy in "path" field. How can I define different hierarchies? I've got one predefined in

/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/pagehierarchy/pages.xml

If I try to add new one, in wizard I don't have any option to create page hierarchy. If I try to create XML file manually, i.e. in /oracle/webcenter/portalapp/pagehierarchy/managers/pages.xml and add managers pages to this hierarchy, both hierarchies are affected by my changes :( What am I doing wrong? I don't think dev guide covers this topic straightforward way :(
                        • 9. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                          rgouw
                          Maciej,

The pages.xml controls the security.
                          You need to create a navigation.
                          The navigation can include the pages.xml, but you don't want that. :)

Regards,

Rob
                          • 10. Re: Many portals in one portal application?
                            user279104
                            rgouw wrote:
                            Maciej,

The pages.xml controls the security.
                            You need to create a navigation.
                            The navigation can include the pages.xml, but you don't want that. :)
                            Rob,

I know. But I want that, because I need to be able to manage pages at runtime, i.e. add one more page, hidden predefined one, etc. I had navigation with links to pages defined, but Yannick already explained me why it was no good for me.

I found out that there is one single page hierarchy per application, however navigation model can contain it at different levels. So, if I get everything right I need sometnig like that:

pages.xml
                            |
                            + managerPages.xml
                            |
                            + managerSubpage.xml
                            + managerSubpage.xml
                            (...)
                            + employeePages.xml
                            |
                            + employeeSubpage.xml
                            + employeeSubpage.xml
                            (...)

and create diffetent models, which at page query won't contain root pages.xml, but its sub-components:

emloyee-navivation-model -> page query with path employeePages.xml
                            manager-navigation-model-> page query with path managerPages.xml

Edited by: Maciej Nowicki on 2012-03-14 01:12