AGENT RESYNC

Hello everyone

Environment:
      Production Environment
      RHEL5.5
      Oracle 11gR2
      RAC 4 instances
      No ASM Instance

Last monday we had a unexpected shutdown event in a node of our RAC servers. After recovering the node and restablishing the environment we noticed that EM doesn't show the node as an live instance saying that the listener should be syncronized. Since I'm new to RAC instances I'd like to ask how I do sync or resync in the instance so that it can be seen by the EM. When checking the status of that instance everything seems to be ok. I've found a note that says that "unblocking" the agent would force the listener on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      thanks in advance
      Mr.Daemon

Edited by: user10441556 on 13/03/2012 12:32

Edited by: user10441556 on 13/03/2012 12:40
        • 1. Re: AGENT RESYNC
          damorgan
          Reinstall the agent
          • 2. Re: AGENT RESYNC
            Hello mate!

As simple as that? How do reinstall the agent that is a listener for the RAC?

Thanks in advance
            • 3. Re: AGENT RESYNC
              damorgan
              Reading the docs works for me almost every time. ;-)
              • 4. Re: AGENT RESYNC
                Hans Forbrich
                You say the 'EM' stopped showing the information or updating the information for one instance of your RAC.

Are you using Grid/Cloud Control or local Enterprise Manager Database Control? (Easiest way to tell is in the URL - perhaps post your URL) That will help determine which agent you need to restart.

Note that operation of the EM does not impact the operation of the system itself. The test they use to see whether the DB is up is pretty flaky.
                • 5. Re: AGENT RESYNC
                  Ok !

This is the answer I like the most. Will check the docs out as advised.

thanks for now.
                  • 6. Re: AGENT RESYNC
                    Hello Hans!

It's a Grid Control url and the problem is found only with the Grid EM that doesn't show the listener status correctly. It shows 3 nodes reachable and 1 not. All nodes are responding correctly as we can see when the nodes are tested with 'srvctl status nodeapps -n node_name'.

Thanks for your reply!
                    • 7. Re: AGENT RESYNC
                      Hans Forbrich
                      Make sure the agent is up and running. Set your PATH to point ot the Agent's HOME/bin, unset the ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME, and try emctl stop/start agent

As Dan says, this might be a case of reinstalling the agent. I'd open a Support ticket first and get them to help, because dropping and reinstalling an agent is painful. (See http://docs.oracle.com - look for Grid Control, take the appropriate version, specifically look at the Advanced Installation manual.)