This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 12:11 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Installing JavaEE SDK without GlassFish

923782 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
Is there any way I can install the Java EE SDK without the GlassFish Server?
I don't want to have to download and update GlassFish as I don't use it!
Thanks,
Rich
  • 1. Re: Installing JavaEE SDK without GlassFish
    gimbal2 Guru
    There is no JavaEE SDK. Java EE is a specification, implemented by application servers like Glassfish, JBoss, Weblogic, etc.

What Oracle tries to pass off as the "JavaEE SDK" is simply the JDK bundled with Glassfish. If you don't want Glassfish, you don't have to download anything.

I don't want to have to download and update GlassFish as I don't use it!
    So what do you use then?
  • 2. Re: Installing JavaEE SDK without GlassFish
    923782 Newbie
    Ah I see. However, if there really isn't a Java EE SDK then perhaps Oracle should rename/remove the JavaEE SDK Page:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/overview/index.html

It would really help to remove any confusion.
  • 3. Re: Installing JavaEE SDK without GlassFish
    gimbal2 Guru
    920779 wrote:
    Ah I see. However, if there really isn't a Java EE SDK then perhaps Oracle should rename/remove the JavaEE SDK Page:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/overview/index.html

It would really help to remove any confusion.
    All the bundle packages are seriously confusing IMO. The number of beginners that think that Netbeans = Java because a bundle download package of Netbeans + the JDK exists... But what can you do :s

Anyway, you didn't answer my question. What will you be using if not Glassfish? You need at least an application server to be able to run your stuff, plus you need a whole pile of dependencies to be able to compile anything enterprise related. Surely you do not have all that figured out yet?
  • 4. Re: Installing JavaEE SDK without GlassFish
    931614 Newbie
    My apologies if this is considered a hijack of this thread, but there has been no activity for awhile, and I was looking forward to an answer. Anywise, I have exactly the same issue, I wish to install the JavaEE SDK on a Windows system but I have no need for GlassFish and do not want to be encumbered by it. To answer gimbal2's question, my intent is to deploy servlets on an Apache Tomcat server. And I need access to a number of classes and their methods, which are blocked due to security access restrictions in a SE JRE. So a Java SE SDK/JDK will not fit my needs. How can one get a JavaEE SDK for Windows without the GlassFish application server?

Also, for what it's worth, I tried to install the full JavaEE with GlassFish, figuring I could somehow uninstall the GlassFish server later. Unfortunately, I was not successful, while some documentation seemed to imply that it is possible, none of the uninstall scripts I found would do exactly that, not without uninstalling the SDK as well.. And any attempt to brute force an uninstall of GlassFish (i.e. for example, deleting the directory it was installed in) lead to other problems and so I gave up spending time on looking for a solution along those paths.... Apparently there either seems to be some hidden hooks that I don't know about or I did something bad but got no idea what...

Marc...
  • 5. Re: Installing JavaEE SDK without GlassFish
    gimbal2 Guru
    928611 wrote:
    My apologies if this is considered a hijack of this thread, but there has been no activity for awhile, and I was looking forward to an answer.
    The proper way is to simply create a new thread and if you must, post a referring link to this one. I'll answer anyway but you can be almost sure this thread is now going to be locked.
    Anywise, I have exactly the same issue, I wish to install the JavaEE SDK on a Windows system but I have no need for GlassFish and do not want to be encumbered by it. To answer gimbal2's question, my intent is to deploy servlets on an Apache Tomcat server. And I need access to a number of classes and their methods, which are blocked due to security access restrictions in a SE JRE. So a Java SE SDK/JDK will not fit my needs. How can one get a JavaEE SDK for Windows without the GlassFish application server?
    As I said, there is NO JEE SDK. What classes do you need? Tomcat itself provides the servlet-api jar, which if you want to deploy on Tomcat is all you basically need to be able to compile servlet stuff. If you use an IDE like Netbeans or Eclipse, setting up the proper project type (which will be similar to "java web project") will likely already setup all the jars you need too. Let me stress that Tomcat is in no way a JEE container, it is merely a servlet engine. It can service simple web applications only.

If you need additional dependencies like JavaMail, JPA or JSF, you'll need to download these individually. Here, recently I wrote an article based on my own adventures with getting a JSF 2 webapp running on Tomcat 7. But I use Maven, so you'll still need to figure out how to setup the project dependencies yourself:

http://entjavastuff.blogspot.com/2012/03/jsf-21-and-jpa-2-on-tomcat-7.html

At the very least you can use the guide to find the jars in the Maven central repository to be able to download them :)

http://search.maven.org/

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points