This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 5:55 AM by kvh Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?

923828 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello!
Is Dtrace included in UEK2 kernel release (e.g. 2.6.39-100.5.1.el6uek.x86_64 on Oracle Linux 6)?
I see no dtrace and dtrace-modules packages on http://public-yum.oracle.com ...
Do we have some way to try Dtrace without ULN subscription?

Thanks a lot!
  • 1. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    Dude! Guru
    You can get the source rpm's from http://oss.oracle.com/el6/Beta/SRPMS
  • 2. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    kvh Newbie
    DTrace is currently in Beta stage, available as a technology preview, and it is therefore not part of the UEK2 production kernel release. It is released as a separate kernel that can be installed alongside the standard kernel, for the purpose of experimental use. The DTrace enabled kernel is a UEK2 kernel, i.e. it's source tree is essentially the UEK2 source tree augmented with patches to provide DTrace functionality. On top of that, there are a set of out-of-tree kernel modules that provide the actual DTrace core functionality.

Hope this helps,
    Kris
  • 3. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    923828 Newbie
    Thanks all for replies.
    So, can I built dtrace SRPM packages over release UEK2 kernel or I need also install (now outdated) beta version of kernel for running dtrace?

Edited by: deniszh on 15.03.2012 0:36
  • 4. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    Dude! Guru
    If I understand the previous post correctly, then the dtrace modules need specific kernel patches to work, meaning the current UEK release kernel will not be sufficient. If you are not familiar with the process to compile the kernel sources you will probably not get very far without appropriate documentation.
  • 5. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    kvh Newbie
    Yes, DTrace is implemented as kernel modules (not part of the kernel source tree), but they make use of functionality that has been added to the kernel itself. So, as can be seen from the content of the .src.rpm, it is distributed as an entire kernel source tree with all changes included. You do not need the base UEK2 kernel for this - only the DTrace-enabled UEK2 kernel. Of course, since the base UEK2 kernel is a production release and the DTrace one is not, one should not use the DTrace enabled version for anything other than experimentation and technology review.

Also note that the UEK2 kernel is right now version 2.6.39-100.5.1, and the DTrace enabled version is 2.6.39-101.1.1.

Hope this helps,
    Kris
  • 6. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    anandjain - oracle Newbie
    http://oss.oracle.com/el6/Beta/SRPMS/

has some of the modules listed,
    --
    dtrace-modules-2.6.39-101.0.1.el6uek
    kernel-uek-2.6.39-101.0.1.el6uek.x86_64
    --
    any idea where do I download the rest of the modules as below ?

--
    dtrace-utils
    kernel-uek-headers-2.6.39-101.0.1.el6uek.x86_64
    kernel-uek-devel-2.6.39-101.0.1.el6uek.x86_64
    kernel-uek-firmware-2.6.39-101.0.1.el6uek.noarch
    --

thanks
  • 7. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    kvh Newbie
    Kernel RPMs like kernel-uek-firmware, kernel-uek-devel, and kernel-uek-headers are generated as part of the RPM build process for the kernel-uek source rpm. That is standard for all Linux kernel builds, actually.
  • 8. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    926093 Newbie
    Hi,

I am able to build kernel RPMs "kernel-uek", "kernel-uek-devel", "kernel-uek-headers", and "dtrace-modules" but still missing the "dtrace-util". It doesn't seem to be available on http://oss.oracle.com/el6/Beta/SRPMS/. Any way I can download it and try it out before acquiring a CSI?

Thanks.
  • 9. Re: Dtrace on UEK2 kernel release?
    kvh Newbie
    Elena wrote in a different thread in this forum:

there are no DTrace packages in the yum repository.
    The CLI is in the Utils package which is available only via ULN. So you would need a CSI number.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points