1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 10:45 AM by sabre150 RSS

DEs ECB Encryption

Umer
      Hi,

I am trying to encrypt a 16byte key with a 8byte transport key using DES in ECB mode with noPadding. I have searched on the net and found few examples. I am using one of the examles I found. Here, my 16byte key is in Hex format. Now problem is that I want that the ciphered key should also be in hex, but when i tried to output ciphered key is not giving any readable output.
      Any guidence please how to get the ciphered key in hex format ?
      Here is the sample code:
      import java.security.Security;
      import javax.crypto.Cipher;
      import javax.crypto.spec.SecretKeySpec;

/**
       * Basic symmetric encryption example with padding and ECB using DES
       */
      public class MainClass {
        public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
          Security.addProvider(new org.bouncycastle.jce.provider.BouncyCastleProvider());        
          byte[] input = "014B620635F04A24C0D4025E063E506B".getBytes();
          byte[] keyBytes = new byte[] { (byte)0x9A, (byte)0xE1, (byte)0x5E, (byte)0x9E,
                                         (byte)0x32, (byte) 0x4A, (byte) 0xB4, (byte) 0x2A };

SecretKeySpec key = new SecretKeySpec(keyBytes, "DES");
          Cipher cipher = Cipher.getInstance("DES/ECB/NoPadding", "BC");
          System.out.println("input : " + new String(input) +"| Length:"+input.length);

// encryption pass
          cipher.init(Cipher.ENCRYPT_MODE, key);
          byte[] cipherText = new byte[cipher.getOutputSize(input.length)];
          int ctLength = cipher.update(input, 0, input.length, cipherText, 0);
          ctLength += cipher.doFinal(cipherText, ctLength);
          //String strCipherText = new BASE64Encoder().encode(cipherText);
          System.out.println("cipher: " + new String(cipherText, "UTF8")+ " bytes: " + ctLength);

// decryption pass

cipher.init(Cipher.DECRYPT_MODE, key);
          byte[] plainText = new byte[cipher.getOutputSize(ctLength)];
          int ptLength = cipher.update(cipherText, 0, ctLength, plainText, 0);
          ptLength += cipher.doFinal(plainText, ptLength);
          System.out.println("plain : " + new String(plainText) + " bytes: " + ptLength);
        }
      }
      Kind regards
        • 1. Re: DEs ECB Encryption
          sabre150
          Just copying some third party encryption code without understanding it is a recipe for disaster.

1) There is no need to use the BouncyCastle library - everything you need is available from the build-in SunJCE provider.
          2) You need to use a Hex decoder to turn your input into a byte array suitable for encryption. You need to use a Hex encoder to turn your cipherText to a Hex representation. BouncyCastle the encoder and decoder but this will mean you are importing a very large library when all you need is something very small. Google for Jakarta commons codec.
          3) I suggest you purchase David Hook's "Beginning Cryptography with Java" and study it.