6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 11:46 AM by NunzioC RSS

Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE

NunzioC
      Hi,
      We need to downgrade our oracle 10G server from an Enterprise Edition to a Standard Edition for licence purpose.
      I have been reading the tread in this forum and the oracle metalink related (ID 465189.1 , ID 139642.1).
      I also have been reading other information in the web.
      I still have 1 question, to export and import can I use the ORACLE DATAPUMP utility, EXPDP, or I need to use the old ORACLE export utility, EXP?
      Please let me know, the difference for us is huge, since the EXPDP and IMPDP is mutch faster than the old EXP and IMP utility.
      Thanks.

regards
      Nunzio
        • 1. Re: Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE
          Fran
          Hi,
          We need to downgrade our oracle 10G server from an Enterprise Edition to a Standard Edition for licence purpose.
          I have been reading the tread in this forum and the oracle metalink related (ID 465189.1 , ID 139642.1).
          I also have been reading other information in the web.
          I still have 1 question, to export and import can I use the ORACLE DATAPUMP utility, EXPDP, or I need to use the old ORACLE export utility, EXP?
          Please let me know, the difference for us is huge, since the EXPDP and IMPDP is mutch faster than the old EXP and IMP utility.
          Thanks.

regards
          Nunzio
          you can use data pump, no problems either if you use exp/imp, but like you told, data pump is faster.
          • 2. Re: Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE
            Helios-GunesEROL
            Hi;

Please see:
            Converting An Enterprise Edition Database To Standard Edition [ID 139642.1]

Regard
            Helios
            • 3. Re: Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE
              Fran
              Helios, just a point, the document which you refer is based on an Oracle 8i database, so no data pump appears.

Differences Between Enterprise, Standard and Personal Editions on Oracle 8.1 [ID 112591.1]

like he is using 10g edition, data pump could be used too.
              • 4. Re: Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE
                NunzioC
                Hi Helios,
                thanks for you answer, but like I wrote in the first message, I went trough the document you point me.
                The document says that "the standard edition EXP utility is prefered to be used to export the data", so, is "prefered", but there is a reason for that!? Can I use the EXPDP, that is mutch faster!? the EXPDP and IMPDP is available on ORACLE 10G SE!?
                Please let me know.

thanks
                regards
                Nunzio

P.S. Thanks "fran" for you answer, I hope that your answer is correct so I should go ahead with the EXPDP!!!

Edited by: Nunzio Cafarelli on Mar 14, 2012 3:32 PM

Edited by: Nunzio Cafarelli on Mar 14, 2012 3:33 PM
                • 5. Re: Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE
                  Hans Forbrich
                  One thing I suggest - check the License document for the version of the database.

Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and get to Chapter 1 of the License doc. If the feature (in this case Data Pump) has different rules based on Edition, it will be listed there.

If not listed, it should be available on all editions, as the doc is about exceptions. But you should verify by talking to Oracle, since it's your license.

(In this case, Data Pump is included in the free Express Edition - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/server.112/e18804/impexp.htm - so it's pretty safe to assume it's in Standard.)
                  • 6. Re: Oracle 10G downgrade from EE to SE
                    NunzioC
                    Hi Hans,
                    you answer was useful.
                    The only mention to the oracle data pump utility is the following:

Feature/Option SE1 SE EE Notes
                    Parallel Data Pump Export/Import N N Y

so I suppos that I can use the Data Pump without the "parallel" option.
                    I'll try and let you know.

Regards
                    Nunzio