1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 4:35 PM by Avi Miller-Oracle RSS

shared LUN?

Doug Davenport
      I have a generic physical fibre channel attached LUN that I would like to share with several OEL5 VMs.

The docs do not seem to show any details. I could do this with NFS but was wondering what OVM 3.x had to offer?

If I edit the physical disk and make the LUN shareable what happens? Is it formatted as OCFS2? or do I have to format it and if so then how?

Can I then connect and share the physical disk to some VMs.

How do I mount this inside the VM?... type: ocfs2 and options: _netdev,heartbeat=local ?

Do I have to maintain a cluster.conf on each VM?

Any other advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
        • 1. Re: shared LUN?
          Avi Miller-Oracle
          Doug Davenport wrote:
          If I edit the physical disk and make the LUN shareable what happens? Is it formatted as OCFS2? or do I have to format it and if so then how?
          No, it's not formatted. Flagging it as Shareable means it can be assigned to multiple VMs at the same time and all the VMs can be booted with the same disk attached.
          Can I then connect and share the physical disk to some VMs.
          Yes.
          How do I mount this inside the VM?... type: ocfs2 and options: _netdev,heartbeat=local ?
          Do I have to maintain a cluster.conf on each VM?
          If you want to use it as a general purpose filesystem, you would need to run a clustered filesystem like OCFS2, yes. So you would follow the standard OCFS2 documentation: http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/documentation/

Alternatively, the shared disk could be used as a backing device for ASM for Oracle Database for example.