This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 4:54 AM by 423410 RSS

newbie questions on installing Oracle Instant Client on Linux

tem Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I downloaded the Linux 86-64bit Instant Client (Basic Lite) for 11.2.0.2.0 from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/linuxx86-64soft-092277.html

I assume the only installation instructions available are at the bottom of the above link (basically 3 simple steps are shown). If I'm wrong, could someone point me to the right document(s)?

The server I will install this client is on Linux, Centos 6.2, which is 64 bit. My interest in the client is for the shared libraries that are required by OCILIB when compiling.

QUESTION 1: Does it matter whether this installation is done by root, or by a specific user? I have two users needing to access the Instant Client's shared libraries for compiling into c programs.

What's the best way to install? (e.g. can I get by installing as one of these two users, or does it have to be root that does the install so they both can use the client)?

QUESTION 2: If I'm on a Linux server, and I'm developing C programs to interface with an Oracle 11.2 database, do I also need to install the "SDK" package?

QUESTION 3: I assume the Oracle shared libraries are all 64 bit. Thus, when I compile these libraries into my application, do I need to specifically set the CFLAGS with a "-m64" setting? Or, will this be the setting used by default?

Edited by: tem on Mar 13, 2012 5:41 PM
  • 1. Re: newbie questions on installing Oracle Instant Client on Linux
    LaurenzAlbe Journeyer
    Yes, the three lines are the installation instructions. They are a little short, I know.

You should install the software as root, as all software on UNIX should be installed (I know, Oracle Universal Installer does it differently).
    Then the users can use the software, but not mess with it.
    But that's just my opinion, not a hard requirement.

You will need the SDK package if you want to compile C programs that use Oracle.

You can easily find out whether you need to specify -m64 or not: create a simple "Hello world" C program, compile and link it and use the "file" command on the resulting executable to find out whether it is 32- or 64-bit. If 32, use -m64.

Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
  • 2. Re: newbie questions on installing Oracle Instant Client on Linux
    423410 Explorer
    The make files in the SDK will have the right set of flags and you can use them to compile your application.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points