This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 9:43 PM by Sanjay Desai RSS

Limit on FlexFields

921456 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

We are implementing Oracle Lease Management integrated with AP, AR, FA, GL modules and we are being told that there is a limit pf 16 on the number of FlexFields. Is that true and can someone explain why there is a limit and system implications?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Limit on FlexFields
    AlexAnd Guru
    for dff oracle provides upto 15 columns, but this number can vary.
  • 2. Re: Limit on FlexFields
    921456 Newbie
    Thank you...When you say, it can differ what exactly that means? If i want to add more than 15 DFF's, is it as easy as increasing the number of columns in a table per a given module?
  • 3. Re: Limit on FlexFields
    AlexAnd Guru
    918453 wrote:
    Thank you...When you say, it can differ what exactly that means? If i want to add more than 15 DFF's, is it as easy as increasing the number of columns in a table per a given module?
    for dff for one tables oracle provides upto 15 columns
    for dff for another tables oracle provides another count of columns

so count of attributeN columns in tables is limit for dff
  • 4. Re: Limit on FlexFields
    Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant Guru
    Most tables in Oracle provide 15 DFF.
    You can use the context as another DFF making it 16th but technically it is not a DFF.

A few tables provide global attribute fields that are used for localizations. If you don't use localizations, you can use these fields to store additional information. But that information cannot be displayed/entered on the screen. However, it is accessible for your programs/custom reports/interfaces etc.

Most common ways to store additional data is
    1) Re-purpose an existing field. e.g. if you don't use hazard class field on item master, you can use it for your purposes. This main problem with this approach is that, this re-purposing will trip you in future.
    2) Define a custom table with a primary key the same as your base table. e.g. if you need additional information for item master, create a custom table say xx_mtl_system_items. Make organization_id and inventory_item_id the primary key and add as many columns as you need. Develop a custom form to maintain this table. Give user access to this table from the item master screen by creating a zoom in the tools options.

Sandeep Gandhi
  • 5. Re: Limit on FlexFields
    AlexAnd Guru
    many thanks Sandeep Gandhi

>
    Most tables in Oracle provide 15 DFF.
    You can use the context as another DFF making it 16th but technically it is not a DFF.
    >
    in my apps i use context :)

>
    A few tables provide global attribute fields that are used for localizations. If you don't use localizations, you can use these fields to store additional information. But that information cannot be displayed/entered on the screen. However, it is accessible for your programs/custom reports/interfaces etc.
    >
    in my apps i use global_attributeN for localizations :)

>
    Most common ways to store additional data is
    1) Re-purpose an existing field. e.g. if you don't use hazard class field on item master, you can use it for your purposes. This main problem with this approach is that, this re-purposing will trip you in future.
    2) Define a custom table with a primary key the same as your base table. e.g. if you need additional information for item master, create a custom table say xx_mtl_system_items. Make organization_id and inventory_item_id the primary key and add as many columns as you need. Develop a custom form to maintain this table. Give user access to this table from the item master screen by creating a zoom in the tools options.
    >
    good notice

but in general, more than 15 dff columns, is it really needed? ohhhh %)
  • 6. Re: Limit on FlexFields
    Sanjay Desai Journeyer
    Hi Sandeep,

Thanks a lot for sharing a valueable knowledge.

I have query regd. point no . (1) you have mentioned.

+1) Re-purpose an existing field. e.g. if you don't use hazard class field on item master, you can use it for your purposes. This main problem with this approach is that, this re-purposing will trip you in future.+===

How can I redfine the purpose of existing field in seeded table ?

regards
    Sanjay

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points