This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 8:34 AM by 919352 RSS

apps for iphone/ipad/ipod

924329 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am wondering if i can develop applications for iphone ipad and ipod using java?

Regards,
Hisham
  • 1. Re: apps for iphone/ipad/ipod
    gimbal2 Guru
    Nope. You have no freedom, you have to use what Apple tells you to use.
  • 2. Re: apps for iphone/ipad/ipod
    924329 Newbie
    but apple said that they accept 3rd party developers to make apps for iphone, ipad and ipod.

Flash developers can now make apps for apple products see the link below
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/abansod_iphone.html
  • 3. Re: apps for iphone/ipad/ipod
    gimbal2 Guru
    thanks for the interesting article, but now you've only proven that you can develop Flash stuff for Apple platforms ;) Even if Apple lifted its limitations, a Java Runtime for such platforms is not going to magically appear. You'll have to wait and see what Oracle does in that area. Probably iPhone and iPad will be considered for the future, but then more to support JavaFX based applications. Likely nothing will happen in that direction until JavaFX 3 / Java 8.
  • 4. Re: apps for iphone/ipad/ipod
    919352 Newbie
    Hi,

If I understand well, all this years flash has been limited in apple platforms because the battery consumption. Actually, some months ago I read a newspaper when an important explorer (I think IE), told that it was not going to support any more flash platform.

Actually, for developments with Java in Apple platforms, I think is difficult because Apple is so close to its environment, and that's why they keep a high standard quality in its products.

So, I think that it's not possible and it wouldn't possible in the near future.

Edited by: rukbat on Mar 31, 2012 11:50 AM
    Signature link removed by moderator.
    Advice: If you feel you must have some link to your employer, place it into your user profile.
    Don't spam the forums with it visible in all your posts.

Edited by: 916349 on 02-abr-2012 8:33

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points