Our general recommendation for SpatiaLite (or any other product layered on top of SQLite) is to try it. BDB is SQLite API compatible, so it should work. We don't have any documentation or white papers on the topic, but third party products that work with SQLite using the standard SQLite API should work with BDB 11gR2. When you try this out, please let us know the results.
Here is an update on my own question.
I´ve tried it out for BDB 11.2 using SQL API and it worked fine.
Here is what I´ve done:
- Downloaded Spatialite from https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/index
- Unzipped and copied necessary binaries and DLLs into BDB installation (bin,include,lib)
- Downloaded SQLite3 sample db from http://www.gaia-gis.it/spatialite-2.3.0/resources.html
- Used SQLite3 to export sample db with sqlite>. dump...
- Started BDB SQL API
- Spatialite libraries loaded with dbsql>.load 'libspatialite-2.dll'
- Import of exported sample db with dbsql>.read...
- Tests of Spatialite extension using tutorial http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/spatialite-tutorial-2.3.1.html
First test results are the same for SQLite3+Spatialite and BDB+Spatialite.
(Full test to be finished after my vacation in April)