This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 4:01 PM by jgarry RSS

A reasonable .sig request?

Paulie Pro
Currently Being Moderated
HI all,

About once a year I post a request here for a .sig facility on these fora.

I know these things can be abused, but there is light moderation on the groups and people who
feel the need for 57 line sigs can be gently shown the error of their ways...

It's a pain to have to always remember to cut and paste "SELECT * FROM V$VERSION and
other bits and pieces.

10 lines for those who want it?

SOS - Save Our Sigs... Join the campaign now :p

Paul...
  • 1. Re: A reasonable .sig request?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    As previously told, the version of forum software doesn't cater for it. You can't have what aint possible.
  • 2. Re: A reasonable .sig request?
    Paulie Pro
    >
    As previously told, the version of forum software doesn't cater for it.
    You can't have what aint possible.
    But I'm a persistent wee bugger! ;) And I only make this request once a year.

And I'm sure if a client like Oracle requested (what I think is) a tiny feature, I'm sure it
    would be given due consideration by Jive.

I have to say that I'm surprised that Oracle is even using 3rd party software for something
    that it provides itself - or at least claims to - I'm constantly coming across articles (from
    Oracle) to the effect that "Oracle is pleased to announce that Oracle uses its own software...
    EBS, the database, APEX (Metalink used to run on it - not sure about MOS).

Could Oracle not provide (the hardly stellar) forum functionality from Beehive?

From the Jive [url http://docs.jivesoftware.com/jive_sbs/5.0/index.jsp?topic=/com.jivesoftware.help.sbs.online_5.0/admin/MigratingDatafromanUnsupportedDBMS.html] site, we have the databases:
    "Supported Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, or Microsoft SQL Server"

<pet_rant>
    That's a guarantee of "lowest-common-denominator" disease - another reason to use Oracle's own
    product - the Oracle db (not counting MySQL...). If you use more than 1 database server, your db becomes a bit-bucket
    and the countless fancy features that Oracle breaks its back to stuff into Oracle 11.2 are all useless.
    </pet_rant>

Paul...
  • 3. Re: A reasonable .sig request?
    BluShadow Guru Moderator
    Paulie wrote:
    >
    As previously told, the version of forum software doesn't cater for it.
    You can't have what aint possible.
    But I'm a persistent wee bugger! ;) And I only make this request once a year.

And I'm sure if a client like Oracle requested (what I think is) a tiny feature, I'm sure it
    Not when the version of Jive being used by Oracle forums is out of date and unsupported. That would be like someone asking Oracle to just make a few tweaks and patches to Oracle 7 for them.

;)
  • 4. Re: A reasonable .sig request?
    Paulie Pro
    >

Not when the version of Jive being used by Oracle forums is out of date and unsupported.
    And you know this how? Not that I'm doubting you, you understand, it's just that such
    information is hardly a credit to Oracle, and at the risk of sounding boring, it's hardly
    a credit to Oracle that their own software can't run a relatively feature-limited
    peer-2-peer website - either with Apex or Beehive...

Maybe it should tell us all we need to know about what Oracle thinks of those
    who volunteer to provide a tier of support that would otherwise be unavailable?

That would be like someone asking Oracle to just make a few tweaks and patches to Oracle 7 for them.
    Funny that you should mention Oracle 7 - Mogens Norgaard (he of OakTable (site) and
    oracle Insights (book) fame) says on page 92 of that book that "Most customers
    really only need Oracle version 7.3 with respect to features... new features being
    introduced are either refinements on existing ones or features needed by the
    UPS's and eBay's of the world"...

Seeing as one can run Jive on MySQL (what fraction of the Oracle 7.3 does it have again?),
    it looks like Mogens is right in this case anyway.

As a matter of interest, were Oracle running the MySQL version before they purchased
    Sun?

Paul...
  • 5. Re: A reasonable .sig request?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Paulie wrote:
    Not when the version of Jive being used by Oracle forums is out of date and unsupported.
    And you know this how?
    Discussed here numerous times, with Justin (senior director OTN) responding and explaining that Jives is old and essentially discontinued product and that they are looking at alternatives.
    Funny that you should mention Oracle 7 - Mogens Norgaard (he of OakTable (site) and
    really only need Oracle version 7.3 with respect to features... new features being
    And I have called that statement bull, and will do so again.

It is only true when Oracle is used as a bit bucket and persistence layer. Many of us use Oracle as a data processing platform.

And that is a huge difference. No ways I would be able to run ANY of the Oracle systems we have today on 7.3 or 11g using only 7.3 features.
    As a matter of interest, were Oracle running the MySQL version before they purchased
    Sun?
    No. Sun owned it and was acquired by Oracle with the Sun acquisition. Oracle bought InnoDB prior to that. It is the most frequently used storage layer for mySQL.
  • 6. Re: A reasonable .sig request?
    jgarry Guru
    Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
    Paulie wrote:
    And you know this how?
    Discussed here numerous times, with Justin (senior director OTN) responding and explaining that Jives is old and essentially discontinued product and that they are looking at alternatives.
    And I have called that statement bull, and will do so again.

It is only true when Oracle is used as a bit bucket and persistence layer. Many of us use Oracle as a data processing platform.

And that is a huge difference. No ways I would be able to run ANY of the Oracle systems we have today on 7.3 or 11g using only 7.3 features.
    I have a major system that uses only those features (and less!), and a few parts suffer somewhat because of the 10gR2 optimizer. But more telling, the vendor requires 11g for the next version (point upgrade, actually).

I agree with Mogens, at least with respect to RAC, partitioning, DG and half-baked optimizer enhancements.