6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 12:46 PM by 713555

Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]

John-MK
      Hi,

Oracle directory has 90% space full. It is noticed that SOFTWARE LIBRARY directory is having lot of space usage. I have read Oracle doc regarding software libaray and understood some logics about it.

Important lines:
      - If entity/entities are deleted, they will not appear on the interface but the space will still be occupied by the FILE associated with it. "To clean up and delete entities completely from the file system of the Software Library, you will need to purge the deleted entities."
      http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B16240_01/doc/em.102/e10954/software_library.htm

If have seen in the column (Software Library Configuration) USED SPACE BY DELETED ENTITIES is 0 already, so PURGE doesn't work in this case.

How I can make space available out of this software_library directory? I don't know which entities to delete and purge afterwards? Which entities are safe to delete or any other advice/suggestion please?
      I can see some components and directives as entities, rest like netowork,images,suits,cluster are not showing anything.

Yes, which components to delete from software library directory, and secondly, what other option could be to reduce this /oracle 89% space ?

Thanks a lot.
      Regards,

Edited by: 910385 on Mar 23, 2012 3:00 AM
        • 1. Re: Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]
          Helios-GunesEROL
          Hi;

I found note which is mention for Grid control. Please see:
          Deployments, Patch, and Purge Jobs Fail Trying to Reach an Old Software Library Location [ID 1084585.1]
          How to Remove a Specific Component From Software Library [ID 746775.1]

Regard
          Helios
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]
            Zoltan Kecskemethy
            If you have MOS access you can check:
            [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=HOWTO&id=746775.1]How to Remove a Specific Component From Software Library ID 746775.1
            and/or
            [url https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&doctype=HOWTO&id=468816.1]How to Rebuild the Provisioning Software Library ID 468816.1

FYI I found these urls by using MOS Search keyword ""Software Library""(double quotes because I used quotes in the search as well) and product filter "Enterprise Manager"
            • 3. Re: Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]
              John-MK
              Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have manually deleted many components but managed to reclaim less space (approx 3-400MB maximum), overall directory size is 4.2GB even now. I am thinking of De-configuring it, as I do not use it? or what else can be done to reduce the directory size ?

Regards.
              • 4. Re: Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]
                sb92075
                910385 wrote:
                Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have manually deleted many components but managed to reclaim less space (approx 3-400MB maximum), overall directory size is 4.2GB even now. I am thinking of De-configuring it, as I do not use it? or what else can be done to reduce the directory size ?

Regards.
                default Oracle operations NEVER return disk space to the Operating System.
                • 5. Re: Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]
                  John-MK
                  Thank you.

Any other suggestion to free some space please? That's my only concern right now.
                  ######### What about If I just remove these or few of the below binary files? Is it risky or safe? What effect these could have If I just use [ rm -r 70 ] let's say

[root@kgm software_lib]# ls
                  0   11  14  17  2   22  25  28  30  33  36  39  41  44  47  5   52  55  58  60  63  66  69  71  9
                  1   12  15  18  20  23  26  29  31  34  37  4   42  45  48  50  53  56  59  61  64  67  7   72
                  10  13  16  19  21  24  27  3   32  35  38  40  43  46  49  51  54  57  6   62  65  68  70  8
                  88% /oracle 16G is used out of 20G. Dont know how to free some space out of this /oracle directory, de-configure Oracle Softwar Library (taking 3-4GB of space and nobody is using it as such). Or any other suggestion to make space free would be great please.

Regards,

Edited by: 910385 on Apr 3, 2012 2:13 AM

Edited by: 910385 on Apr 3, 2012 2:15 AM
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Software Library [components to delete and make FREE SPACE]
                    check
                    $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit for .aud files. delete
                    $ORACLE_HOME/network/log for large log files. delete.

check your $ORACLE_BASE/admin for log and trace and export files files.
                    check $ORACLE_HOME /dbs for controlfile snaps.

do a find from the root of your oracle_home volume for files greater then say 10mb, output to file, go through the file.

sb did make one comment on the oracle binaries not releasing space, it is true but if you know the process you can clear the space yourself using lsof and going to /proc, info is but a google away