1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 9:01 AM by turbotiga RSS

Slow Login to Windows Terminal Servers from SunRay Session Servers

Dear All,

in our company we have the following infrastructure.

3 SunRay Session Servers.
      105 Sun Ray Thin Clients.
      6 Windows 2003 Terminal Servers

The problem is that only around 20 Thin Clients can see the Windows Logon Screen at any given time and this makes the morning login very, very slow. If everybody is sitting infront of their Thin Clients then the login is very quick since for every user who logs in Windows another Thin Client gets to see the Logon Screen but unfortunatelly this is not the case since there are people who comes to work earlier than others. Those users can be sitting infront of their Sun Rays for 20-25 minutes before they get to see the Logon Screen.

To distribute the users among the Windows Servers we are using a script we have found on the internet named WBTStart1. (https://blogs.oracle.com/ThinkThin/entry/sun_ray_as_a_windows)

Do you have any idea why this can be happening and how can we fix this?

Thanks,
      Savvas
        • 1. Re: Slow Login to Windows Terminal Servers from SunRay Session Servers
          turbotiga
          I have around 600 Sun Ray Clients against WTS 2008 R2. We are just using a load balancer pointing to a WTS so all sun rays use a load balancer kiosk out-of-the-box something like

-bash-3.00# utkiosk -e session
          KIOSK_SESSION=uttsc
          KIOSK_SESSION_TIMEOUT_DETACHED=12000
          KIOSK_SESSION_LOCALE=de_DE
          KIOSK_SESSION_ARGS=-t 300 -- -l de_DE -r disk:USBDRVS=$HOME/USBDRVS -E wallpaper -E theming -E fontsmoothing -r scard:on ts2008

KIOSK_ENABLED=yes
          -bash-3.00#

One problem is, that the uttsc session restarts every 30 secs. which drives the WTS nuts if done from 600 sessions constantly. I found a nice idea on the sun ray forum, you maybe like

root> : /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/uttsc > grep -n zenity uttsc
          123: zenity info text "Maximum number of connections made without a logon. Press OK to continue."

if [ $theDifference -ge $theTimeout ] ; then
          logger -i -p user.debug -t $theModule \
          "Timeout '$theTimeout' has elapsed - exiting."
          zenity info text "Maximum number of connections made without a logon. Press OK to continue."
          exit 0
          fi

So after the timeout of 300 secs. see above the user gets a dialogbox and needs to enter actively OK so the box resumes. This has lowered the load on the WTS dramatic, because I otherwise I have constantly hitting the following error message

Mar 26 10:14:42 Sun Ray Connector proxy:[1507]: [ID 855542 user.error] Child closed socket prematurely, session shutdown
          Mar 26 10:15:15 Sun Ray Connector proxy:[1542]: [ID 855542 user.error] Child closed socket prematurely, session shutdown
          Mar 26 10:15:46 Sun Ray Connector proxy:[1566]: [ID 855542 user.error] Child closed socket prematurely, session shutdown

If you have this error messages like hell, you know what to do ...

regards, thomas