This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 6:16 AM by fac586 RSS

Porting PHP application to Apex - issue

927056 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I have a PHP application that I'm thinking to port to Apex. Since I am new to Apex I'm trying to find solutions to all the problems I think I could encounter.

One problem for which I found no solution yet is that, at some point, I need to let the user print a certificate (picture) wich has some blank spaces. The user has to introduce, let's say, their name and ocupation into some textboxes on a form. After submitting, I need to put the info on the certificate and give the possibility to print it.

In PHP I can use GD to write the text to an image but I couldn't find any info regarding this in Apex.

So, if any of you have an idea on how can I achieve this in Apex or if you know a plugin or anothe workaround I could use please help me.

Thank you!

Edited by: 924053 on 28.03.2012 10:05
  • 1. Re: Porting PHP application to Apex - issue
    trent Expert
    Can't you just have a div, with the css property background-image set. Then any text just goes over the top - just need to position the text correctly; may need a bit of fiddling to get it right.

Also, there is the z-index property you could use to overlay elements. http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_pos_z-index.asp
  • 2. Re: Porting PHP application to Apex - issue
    927056 Newbie
    I considered this too but it won't work for me since I will have two sections to fill in the certificate and one of them is rotated at 90 degrees so the text must be written vertically. And no, I cannot split the two sections of the picture.

Thanks for the hint!
  • 3. Re: Porting PHP application to Apex - issue
    Christian Neumueller Expert
    Hi 924053,

you can use Oracle Multimedia for image manipulation within the database, see e.g.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10776/ch_imgref.htm

or server-side Java. You could also use dbms_scheduler and similar mechanisms to execute programs on the server or talk to some kind of (e.g. php-based) web service that does the image manipulation for your PL/SQL caller.

Regards,
    Christian
  • 4. Re: Porting PHP application to Apex - issue
    fac586 Guru
    924053 wrote:

I considered this too but it won't work for me since I will have two sections to fill in the certificate and one of them is rotated at 90 degrees so the text must be written vertically.
    Text rotation can be done using CSS3 (or hacks for moribund browsers forced upon us by corporate IT): +{message:id=9780766}+

There are a number of different ways to do this—almost none of which have anything specifically to do with APEX. Find a solution that fits with your skills and environment, and then get help here on how to integrate it with APEX.

For browser-based options check out for example the aforementioned HTML/CSS3, HTML5 <tt>canvas</tt> element, SVG, or Processing (also numerous JavaScript libraries provide cross browser support and APIs for these technolgies).

On the server side there's PL/PDF.

(Please update your forum profile with a real handle instead of "924053".)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points