I hope someone can help me :-) I have em12c U1 and OVM Manager (3.0.3) running. I want to use the self-service portal to deplay OVM templates, but I do not seem to figure out how to add my existing OVM templates in the software library and google is not helping either :-(
Does anyone have any idea how to do this?
There are two options to upload OVM Templates and Assemblies in the the EM software library:
Option 1: Using “Upload File Location”
Pre-req: The template or assembly file is downloaded and stored on a machine running EM 12 agent.
Option 2: Using “Referenced File Location”
Pre-req: The template or assembly file is downloaded and stored in an HTTP accessible location.
By definition in Enterprise Manager, an assembly is a .ova file and a OVM Template is a .tgz file.
I am describing the more common option 1 here:
1. Navigate to Software Library Administration page:
2. Configure the storage for “Upload File Locations” tab. Note that ONLY “OMS Shared Filesystem” storage type is supported for Oracle Virtual Assemblies.
Create a directory on the OMS machine and added as software library storage.
See "Getting Started" section in Cloud Admin Guide:
3. Create a new folder “Cloud Components” in the software library
4. Create a “New Entity” for Oracle Virtual Assembly if you are using .ova files. or create a "New Entity" for Templates if you are using the .tgz files
5. Give a name for the assembly or template component
6. If you are using the .ova files, then you need to do this extra step of adding an attachment. Browse and pick the .ovf file as attachment. It’ll be named as descriptor.ovf
Note that you will have to unpackage the .ova assembly file and store the .ovf descriptor separately on the machine.
7. Go to next step to upload the .ova or .tgz file.
8. Specify the software library location on the OMS machine as destination to upload the .ova file
9. Make sure you pick “Agent Machine” as the source for the .ova or .tgz file.
Due to the 2 MB restriction, Local Machine cannot be used as a source for Oracle virtual assemblies.
10. Specify the agent machine where the .ova or .tgz file is located and “Add” the file location
11. Click next to go to the “Review” step and then “Save and Upload.”
Please make sure you pick “Save and Upload” and NOT “Save.”
12. Click on the newly create assembly component to verify the details:
13. Verify the following:
- Describe tab: Shows an attachment descriptor.ovf (this is only if you are using assemblies)
- Upload Files tab: Should show the .ova or .tgz file in associated files
- Customize tab: Should show the assembly structure
Thanks for you speedy response. But just so I understand. I can not directly use any of my existing templates I already created in OVM Manager?
In the library there is an 'oracle-owned' section called "Cloud-OVM templates". this is there just for show? It should not auto populate VM templates here?
It seems like an extreme route, to first have to export my templates to reimport them in EM :-(
So if I want to copy an VM template that I already have in OVM Manager as template to EM12c, I need to pack the files up in a .tgz and then upload them via agent in EM12c?
- is this procedure documented? Because it seems complex?
- Do i need to edit the vm.cfg file of the template to remove the path of the virtual disk file?
- do I just take the vm.cfg and virtual disk file together in the .tgz, because OVM manager stores them in two seperate folders?
Hope you can help with this :-)
How did you get the Oracle VM templates? Generally you can download the Oracle shipped templates from edelivery.oracle.com or create them by doing a "Save as Template" operation through Enterprise Manager console. In both cases, you will get a .tgz file for OVM Template. You then create a Software Library component using the .tgz in the Enterprise Manager, and then deploy the components using "Deploy Template" operation.
In case you download a Oracle Virtual Assembly (.ova file) from edelivery.oracle.com or create it using Oracle Virtual Assembly Buider (OVAB), you need to go to the Enterprise Manager Software Library page and create an assembly component. Then use this component in the "Deploy Assembly" operation to deploy Guest virtual machines.
This is not correct. When i select 'save as template', I do not end up with a .tgz file, but with a vm.cfg and disk file as .img, both in seperate directories. How do I pack these up as .tgz or .ova so that EM can deal with them. I tried manual tarring and zipping, but have no idea how the file should be put in the tar file... meaning stay in seperate directories? modify the disk image location in the vm.cfg file?
What I already do not understand is that the 'save as template' option in EM, only creates a template that becomes available in OVM and not in EM itself? I would really expect that when I do this 'save as template' it should automatically be added to my EM software library.
I registered template in EM12c using software library.
When I deploy VM with that template.
It failed to deploy in this stage -> ImportComponentSetParam
Initiating import of software library entity identified by: oracle:defaultService:em:provisioning:1:cmp:Virtualization:Template:C40D00098C095E25E0400C0A3305078C:0.1 on cnode10-m.epc-dev-kr-1.pod2.cluster2.ovm
Number of SRs in the target : 1
Selecting the repository Primary_Storage with uuid 0004fb00000300007db1c53d789146eb as target for import.
Execution Failed: Error while setting the import job parameters. Check log files for details.
Can any one give me a clue.
Where is log files for debuging?
Did any one made this work? I am also having same issue of not being able to load templates/assemblies on software library for use and would like to know if there is a way to point software library to templates and assemblies already in OVM manager repository and make them available for self service users.