1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 4:10 AM by rukbat Go to original post RSS
      • 75. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
        gimbal2
        jverd wrote:
        I've never really understood the sense of entitlement that leads to the idiotic "I didn't get exactly the answer I wanted and understanding has not blossomed in my mind so you people are jerks and you have no lives and if you knew how to do it you'd tell me" conniptions, but as far as I can remember it's been pretty stead the entire 13 years I've been here (and probably long before that, going back to the days of stone tablet BBSes).
        Hm, you know that better than I do. Even if I was registered since 2004, I only started actively spamming since the last year of the forums.sun.com era to be honest.

New word learned for this week: conniptions. I can honestly say I've never-EVER seen that used before.
        • 76. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
          gimbal2 wrote:
          jverd wrote:
          I've never really understood the sense of entitlement that leads to the idiotic "I didn't get exactly the answer I wanted and understanding has not blossomed in my mind so you people are jerks and you have no lives and if you knew how to do it you'd tell me" conniptions, but as far as I can remember it's been pretty stead the entire 13 years I've been here (and probably long before that, going back to the days of stone tablet BBSes).
          Hm, you know that better than I do. Even if I was registered since 2004, I only started actively spamming since the last year of the forums.sun.com era to be honest.
          Really? Weird. Seems like yours is one of those names that's "always" been here.
          New word learned for this week: conniptions. I can honestly say I've never-EVER seen that used before.
          :-)

It's a good word. To me it's one of those words that sounds exactly like what it means.
          • 77. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
            gimbal2
            jverd wrote:
            Really? Weird. Seems like yours is one of those names that's "always" been here.
            Yes I've been around for a long time, but about half of that time I was mostly absorbing, not venting ;) Y'all have been in the biz for a long time, when I signed up to the forum I was fresh out of school and eagerly learning not the language but the act of software engineering... I do take pride in the fact that I've hardly ever asked for help; I managed to do everything with books, Altavista/Google/forum searches, head bang sessions with colleagues and meditation. Unlike MOST people visiting today...
            • 78. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
              Wasn't really interested in helping anymore, but for the record:
              ValentineSmith wrote:
              >
              Like the author, did you skip reading the tutorial and hope to learn programming making random mutations and see if it works?
              >
              I don't understand why you say that.
              I did say I've read the tutorials and I'm writing code.
              I'm not lying.
              My reason for me to think you didn't read the tutorial was your your suggestion that synchronizing the run() method would fix it (let one thread wait for another), meaning you're not understanding what synchronizing does and what it doesn't nor showed any sign you actual knew about wait/notify locking.
              Anyhow, someone said that the author's last code post was closer than my last code post.
              So, I went back and studied his code and changed mine to reflect his logic.
              I've spent two entire 15-hour days doing nothing but this.
              I'm new to this and I'm doing it without the aid of formal training.
              What did you do in those 30 hours (serious question)? What I can see is you renamed some stuff from the OPs code and that's it.
              As I said before (not sure if it was this thread): if you don't understand a problem, break it up in smaller steps and solve those. If you can't break it down further, and still don't understand it: look at the documentation/tutorial for that part or ask a question about that.
              However, it doesn't complete.
              I need to <Ctrl/C> to get my system prompt back.
              I think I'm close.
              If anyone is willing to actually show me how to fix it, that would be most satisfying.
              If not, I can live with that too.
              Let me break it down into steps for you:
              What does the wait() method do?
              What does the notify() method do?
              When does a Java program terminate?
              What does your program do after it has printed "1"?

Unrelated, but another problem with your code (as someone else pointed out): what happens you switch the starts()? Note that the order in which the threads run is arbitrary and the result could happen with the code you have now as well (but probably not that likely).
              Again compare it with two person doing the count down. They are told to start by a third person (in your case the main thread), but who actual starts counting first depends on which person reacts faster.
              • 79. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
                Thank you, Walter.
                As I mentioned, I came into this only because my intellectual curiosity was provoked by what I thought was an interesting problem - at least at my level, it is.
                So, I'll get to this in time and, when I do, I'll have saved a copy of your suggestions.
                I'll report back to you.

And to the others, as I also mentioned, something seems to have happened to my user name.
                I went from over a hundred posts to only one.
                Go figure.

Maybe if the big mouths here could broaden their attention span and did more than their usual SELECTIVE READING, they would have noticed.

P.S. to Walter
                What did you do in those 30 hours (serious question)?
                Before I touched the keyboard, I re-read everything and gave some thought to what I read.

Edited by: ValentineSmith on Apr 2, 2012 3:01 PM
                • 80. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
                  ValentineSmith wrote:
                  Thank you, Walter.

And to the others, as I also mentioned, something seems to have happened to my user name.
                  I went from over a hundred posts to only one.
                  Go figure.
                  No idea about that. Probably some dark conspiracy by the Illuminati or the Demmycrats. Or maybe NASA is rejecting your job application with extreme prejudice. Be careful getting into your car.
                  Maybe if the big mouths here could broaden their attention span and did more than their usual SELECTIVE READING, they would have noticed.
                  I saw you mentioned something about it, but it's not something I care about and not something I can do anything about, and it wasn't relevant to any of the discussion I was participating in, so why would I mention it or give it two seconds' thought?
                  • 81. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
                    Probably some dark conspiracy by the Illuminati or the Demmycrats. Or maybe NASA is rejecting your job application with extreme prejudice. Be careful getting into your car.
                    Are you aware how much of your personality you just exposed?
                    I'm glad this is all virtual and there's no "stand your ground".
                    • 82. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
                      ValentineSmith wrote:
                      Probably some dark conspiracy by the Illuminati or the Demmycrats. Or maybe NASA is rejecting your job application with extreme prejudice. Be careful getting into your car.
                      Are you aware how much of your personality you just exposed?
                      Exactly zero that you've correctly identified, clearly. Ever hear of parody?
                      But when I ran into a wall, the help evaporated into a sarcasm whose sole function was to deny my efforts to figure this out.
                      I'm glad this is all virtual and there's no "stand your ground".
                      Wow. Just... wow.
                      • 83. Re: Unexpected flow of execution - Threads
                        Moderator Action:
                        This thread has wandered far afield from the initial post.
                        It is now locked so that it doesn't completely lose all sense for what that topic happened to be.
                        1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next