6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 11:14 AM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column

I do have two indices on a table which are shown in the details view. In the column 'columns' only the first 4 columns are shown that belong to the index.

If I choose an index in another detail view, all columns are shown correctly.

Where to report this bug?
        • 1. Re: Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column
          Gary Graham-Oracle
          Hi,

It seems that listing only the first four column names in an index definition may be intentional, although it would be nice to show at least an ellipsis (...) after the last name. Upon clicking a specific index row, the lower half of the tab displays the details of all columns in the index definition, including attributes like name, position, length, and whether sort order is ascending or descending. That's what I see in the Connections view Table object viewer in the index tab of SQL Developer 3.0.04.

Also, when using the adjacent SQL tab to generate DDL for a table and its indexes, all column names are correctly included. Same with using the Connections view Index object viewer: all columns are shown for the index definition.

I cannot easily find any bug already logged for this. At most, any fix would qualify as only a minor usability improvement.

Hope this helps,
          Gary
          SQL Developer Team
          • 2. Re: Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column
            Hi Gary,

yes, any hint would be appreciated since this "feature" is quite confusing ('(...)' or '(more)'.
            • 3. Re: Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column
              Just ran into this issue today with version 3.1.07. Has this been logged as a bug or improvement anywhere?
              • 4. Re: Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column
                Gary Graham-Oracle
                Hi Michael,

A quick recheck found no bug, enhancement request, or feature request (SQL Developer Exchange) for this. As stated, if you drill down into a specific index, all index columns will be listed. The four column limit at the upper summary level is clearly intentional - I recall looking it up once. The SQL query used to retrieve the column names specifically picks up only four.

I leave it to others to log a feature request on the Exchange.

-Gary
                • 5. Re: Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column
                  Gail Walker-Oracle
                  I just realized this was an issue today.

Once one knows that only 4 columns are shown in the summary and that you have to click on the index name for any index that shows 4 columns to see if there are more, well that extra click is pretty simple and not a big deal.

The problem is BEFORE one knows of this. For weeks, when reviewing some indexes created by others, I was under the wrong impression about some indexes because I thought they only had the 4 columns shown. I didn't know at that time that I had to select the index and look at the detail section.

It wasn't until I just happened to click on one of them and saw more columns listed that I realized there was a bug. And yes, as far as I'm concerned, this is a bug not a feature.

At an absolute minimum, there should be something done so users know they have to look at the details. Perhaps the heading could be changed to "Columns (up to 4)" or the ellipsis or (more) could be added as someone else suggested. Even just an additional comma would help. I can't imagine why it was written to stop at 4 anyway - why does that make any sense?

This is the first time I've come to this forum so I'm not sure how to request an enhancement. I'll read a few other threads and see if I can tell.
                  • 6. Re: Bug in details view: index columns not shown correctly, stops at 4th column
                    Gary Graham-Oracle
                    Hi,

You can view past feature requests and log new ones at http://sqldeveloper.oracle.com/

-Gary