4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 7:00 AM by 661369 RSS

New Install Question

I'm going to be installing 11.2.03 on RHEL 6. We are currently using 11.2.0.3 on Ubuntu 11.04

When we do a fresh install, we would like to not have it not install XDB and OLAP. I don't remember seeing those options in the install, but then again in previous installs we just installed it and trimmed it down later. After having to remove those from this last install though, I would much rather not have it installed from the get go then go through the removal process again.

From an OS side, does anyone have any feedback on ease of install / admining of 11G on RHEL vs Ubuntu? Just wondering what to expect. Hoping it will be a little bit easier and straightforward since it will be on an accredited OS this time.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: New Install Question
          sb92075
          ChaosAD wrote:
          I'm going to be installing 11.2.03 on RHEL 6. We are currently using 11.2.0.3 on Ubuntu 11.04

When we do a fresh install, we would like to not have it not install XDB and OLAP. I don't remember seeing those options in the install, but then again in previous installs we just installed it and trimmed it down later. After having to remove those from this last install though, I would much rather not have it installed from the get go then go through the removal process again.

From an OS side, does anyone have any feedback on ease of install / admining of 11G on RHEL vs Ubuntu? Just wondering what to expect. Hoping it will be a little bit easier and straightforward since it will be on an accredited OS this time.

Thanks
          Oracle is not certified on Ubuntu.
          Consider using Oracle Enterprise Linux.
          • 2. Re: New Install Question
            Correct, that is why we are moving to Red Hat.

This will be on a Virtual Server as well. What is a good way to gauge the memory and disk space needed?

Also, we currently use 2 raids to separate our data files and such as to avoid being on the same physical drive. I'm guessing there isn't an ideal way to do this with a VM? I'm new to the VM world so not sure what all can be done.
            • 3. Re: New Install Question
              Helios-GunesEROL
              Hi;

1. RHEL6 is not certified yet. Please see:
              http://heliosguneserol.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/oracle-announces-the-certification-of-the-oracle-database-on-oracle-linux-6-and-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6/

You can go wiht OEL6

2.For Vm please see:
              Is Oracle certified to run on VMWare?
              https://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/is_oracle_certified_to_run_on

Regard
              Helios
              • 4. Re: New Install Question
                Thanks. I knew RHEL 6 was about 90 days off, didn't know about the VM issues. Will look into that.