9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 7:51 AM by Prabodh RSS

License/Cost for APEX Listener

beangl
      If I want to switch to the APEX Listener on my production site, is there an additional cost/license issue that I need to be concerned with?
        • 1. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
          Kris Rice-Oracle
          It's included in the database license. However, I'm trying to collect info on as many people using it in production as I can. Would you willing to drop me a note in what your doing and how you use it?

-kris
          • 2. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
            beangl
            Thanks for the response. We are a NASA installation and are setting up a new app we built using APEX for our engineering community. NASA has a custom authentication tool it prefers us to use that involves some java and/or java components. This is not my area of expertise. Our developer performing the installation ran into problems with the current setup and he thinks that switching to the APEX Listener will allow this authentication tool (j2ee) to work.
            • 3. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
              Kris Rice-Oracle
              That's great. Let me know how it goes.
              -kris
              • 4. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
                Hi,
                Does this mean I can install the APEX Listener on a separate server? (of course, assuming the database is properly licensed).
                Thank in advance.
                • 5. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
                  Udo
                  Hi,

you can. That's what APEX Listener's option to specify a hostname for the JDBC connection is there for. ;)

-Udo
                  • 6. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
                    Thanks Odu. That is my understanding as well.
                    My problem is that I have a DBA who assumes it is licensed like Oracle HTTP Server, which does need a license when installed on a separate server.
                    It would be nice if I could find this in writing...
                    Thanks again for your replay.

Rich
                    • 7. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
                      Udo
                      Hello Rich,
                      My problem is that I have a DBA who assumes it is licensed like Oracle HTTP Server, which does need a license when installed on a separate server.
                      It would be nice if I could find this in writing...
                      I understand yoru DBA, and I'm sorry, but currently there is nothting written about actual license terms for APEX Listener except the OTN License - which is equal to the APEX License. Perhaps Oracle will give APEX Listener a separate license with Release 2, but there didn't seem to be a motivation to do so yet.
                      So, this leaves some room for speculations. My interpretation is the following (with differentiation from OHS):
                      - APEX Listener is part of the APEX product family.
                      - APEX Listener is designed to be used as a web server for APEX. Though you could use it without APEX, it can't be used without the Oracle Database.
                      - APEX Listener is not listed in any price list I know, so I wouldn't know how to aquire a license for a separate server.
                      OHS is part of the IAS family. It's design allows multiple usage scenarios and several Oracle products, including the Oracle Database, contain an explicit "restricted license" for OHS. You could even use OHS as a standalone web server just like the Apache HTTP Server it is based on. Oracle's intention is to make sure you don't use OHS without having some license for it - be it the database or the IAS. You don't have this kind of restriction or usage scenario for APEX Listener - you'll always have a database that needs licensing...

And another thought that might convince your DBA:
                      Even if your DBA still thinks you need a valid database license for every server you run APEX Listener on, you can have it for free: APEX Listener and APEX are licensed with XE. So you could perform a (non-active) XE installation on any server and hence get a valid license on that server.
                      Of course, this would not answer the question if you would be allowed to access a remote database from that node, but honestly: I can't find any regular license that would explicitly grant you the right to do that.

-Udo
                      • 8. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
                        RideTheStorm
                        Hello Udo,

The installation of Apex Listener includes WebLogic server? I understand that it's licensed through Apex License, for installation on another application server, it would be subject to the licensing terms of the server in question. It's correct?

Regards,
                        • 9. Re: License/Cost for APEX Listener
                          Prabodh
                          Why revive an old thread when you can open a new one for yourself?
                          Cheers,