This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 7:18 AM by 925677 RSS

Best way to manage 8i and 9i databases?

239101 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I'm looking for the best way to manage 8i, 9i, 10g and 11g databases with EM (of course, upgrading the 8i databases is not an option). I successfully installed OMS 12c, but the 12.1 agent will not connect to the 8i databases. What are the alternatives?
-The 10g agent can manage 8i, but will it be able to connect to 12.1 OMS?
-If this doesn't work, I guess I would need a 12.1 OMS for 9i, 10g and 11g databases, and a 10g OMS for the 8i databases. Is this a viable solution? Can 10g and 12.1 OMS coexist within the same environment?

I'm looking for the best scenario that actually works, I understand that anything that connects to 8i will not be supported.

Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Best way to manage 8i and 9i databases?
    venkata thiruveedhi Guru
    Hi,

Only 12C agent works with 12c OMS.

The only versions of managed targets that can be monitored with 12C are:

11.2.0.3.0, 11.2.0.2.0, 11.2.0.1.0, 11.1.0.7.0, 10.2.0.5.0, 10.2.0.4.0, 10.1.0.5.0, 9.2.0.8.0

Best Regards,
    Venkat
  • 2. Re: Best way to manage 8i and 9i databases?
    EdStevens Guru
    langlafr wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm looking for the best way to manage 8i, 9i, 10g and 11g databases with EM (of course, upgrading the 8i databases is not an option).
    If your company values its data, I'd say NOT upgrading the 8i databases is not an option.

Are you still running 16bit hardware?

Are you still running Windows NT?

Are you still using WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3?

Why is it companies see the importance of upgrading hardware, OS's, applications .... everything but their databases?

What you are dealing with now is the first (well, not really the first) of many, many indications of why it is WAAAY past time to upgrade your db's.
    I successfully installed OMS 12c, but the 12.1 agent will not connect to the 8i databases. What are the alternatives?
    -The 10g agent can manage 8i, but will it be able to connect to 12.1 OMS?
    -If this doesn't work, I guess I would need a 12.1 OMS for 9i, 10g and 11g databases, and a 10g OMS for the 8i databases. Is this a viable solution? Can 10g and 12.1 OMS coexist within the same environment?

I'm looking for the best scenario that actually works, I understand that anything that connects to 8i will not be supported.

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: Best way to manage 8i and 9i databases?
    925677 Oracle ACE
    Hi.
    I'm afraid you got it right.

Let's distinguish between MONITORING- which is done by the agent and MANAGEMENT (administration, maintenance, performance management etc) - which is done directly from the OMS.

According to my experience:
    OEM 10G is the last version that can fully MANAGE 8i databases.
    OEM 11G can MONITOR 8i databases (via a 10G agent) but cannot MANAGE them (or in other words ,the 11G OMS cannot connect to 8i databases).
    OEM 12C cannot MONITOR nor MANAGE 8i databases.

If you use OEM to fully manage your 8i databases (and plan to continue doing so) I suggest you keep a dedicated OEM 10G installation for those databases.
    There's no problem using 2 different OMS installations and many organizations choose to do so for various reasons.
    The downsides are that you'll need to duplicate your OEM configurations (monitoring templates, rules etc) and of course- you won't be able to manage all databases in a single console...

If you use OEM to only monitor the 8i databases, you can create a set of user defined metrics that will run against a 9i database and will connect to the 8i databases via DB Link.
    This solution is far from ideal but it might eliminate the need for maintaining another OMS installation if all you need is monitoring the 8i databases.

Erez.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points