This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 2:14 AM by 912595 RSS

alert log

886535 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
can anyone give me the steps for alert log shipping?

Thanks in advance
  • 1. Re: alert log
    jgarry Guru
    Not something one would normally do. Now, if you mean archive log shipping, there are many ways in the docs, and plenty of stuff on the net. What is your requirement?
  • 2. Re: alert log
    sb92075 Guru
    883532 wrote:
    can anyone give me the steps for alert log shipping?
    ALERT LOG?
    ship it where?
  • 3. Re: alert log
    886535 Newbie
    i have faced in one question in interview
    if alaert log reaches the value 3 gb then we take the back up and we have to create alert log once again.
    can u give me the step how i will take the back up alert log weather i have to shut down the db or any thing???
  • 4. Re: alert log
    sb92075 Guru
    883532 wrote:
    if alaert log reaches the value 3 gb then we take the back up and we have to create alert log once again.
    can u give me the step how i will take the back up alert log weather i have to shut down the db or any thing???
    Do you have a working DB?
    What happens when you move the alert_SID.log file?
  • 5. Re: alert log
    EdStevens Guru
    883532 wrote:
    It's a LOG file. It logs runtime messages from the database. If the database tries to write to it and it's not there (why wouldn't it be there? I dont' know, let's say the DBA moved it for some reason. some reason like it reached 3gb in size and some manager decided that was too big) it will simply initialize a new one and start writing to it.

http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/category/opinion/
  • 6. Re: alert log
    jgarry Guru
    EdStevens wrote:
    883532 wrote:
    This is version and platform dependent. Assuming 11g, search the doc set at tahiti.oracle.com for [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/adrci.htm#SUTIL1509]adcri.

I still wonder if you are propagating the interview question correctly.

>
    >
    It's a LOG file. It logs runtime messages from the database. If the database tries to write to it and it's not there (why wouldn't it be there? I dont' know, let's say the DBA moved it for some reason. some reason like it reached 3gb in size and some manager decided that was too big) it will simply initialize a new one and start writing to it.
    But it could be confusing, depending on [url http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/missing-alertlog-mystery-its-not-what-you-think,10]why it is not there.

>
    http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/category/opinion/
    Excellent opinion piece. Wish I had a laptop, or even a work PC that could handle it.
  • 7. Re: alert log
    904735 Newbie
    Hi,

If alert log size is more just remove (delete) the alert log file.

rm alert.log(your file name).

That will not impact to anything except free up the space.

Eagarly if you want to keep it for referrence just take the backup of that file to other location.

Thanks,
    Srini...
  • 8. Re: alert log
    Hemant Newbie
    Hi ,
    Just Move this alert log file in another location ,and create the new one of same name on its original location.

This doe not affect the database.
    Regards
    Hemant Kr
  • 9. Re: alert log
    Think_dba Journeyer
    Hemant wrote:
    Hi ,
    Just Move this alert log file in another location ,and
    create the new one of same name on its original location
    Why?

Once you delete or move the alert logfile it will create on automatically
  • 10. Re: alert log
    886535 Newbie
    while taking the backup of alert log file we have to shut down the database or we can take backup while database up and running ?
    how i will create new alert log file in that location ?
    from my knowledge it will create automatically am i wright?

Edited by: 883532 on Apr 7, 2012 1:24 AM
  • 11. Re: alert log
    CKPT Guru
    883532 wrote:
    while taking the backup of alert log file we have to shut down the database or we can take backup while database up and running ?

Edited by: 883532 on Apr 7, 2012 1:24 AM
    Dear,

Its just text information messages recorded into alert log file, There is no such backup procedure for alert log file except cp command. Even no need to shutdown too.
    You rename the alertlog file , then oracle automatically creates a new alert log file in same location.

I suggest you to go with oracle documentation to understand these concepts http://tahiti.oracle.com
  • 12. Re: alert log
    912595 Expert
    883532 wrote:
    Alert.log file cannot be backuped by RMAN command,
    Like you normally do for backing up the full dtaabase
    alert.log will be create automatically if you remove it... You dont need to take care of creating it manually at all.
    Yes

its possible to use cp or mv comand while your database is running.
    Oracle appends the new messages in alert.log and if file is not found it rest its pointer/counter and then creates a newfile and then start the counter/pointer again and start writting to it.

FYI there is also a way to add our messgaes to alert.log file too.The procedure kdswrt in dbms_system package allows us to write own messages in the alert log / trace files or both.

Jonathan explained ways to write our custom message to alert.log and to trace files.

The functions to use are as follows:
    dbms_system.ksdwrt(1,'xxxx') -- writes to the alert log
    dbms_system.ksdwrt(2,'xxxx') -- writes to a trace file for the current session
    dbms_system.ksdwrt(3,'xxxx') -- writes to both the alert log and a trace file
    dbms_system.ksdddt -- used to write a date / time stamp
    dbms_system.ksdind(n) -- indent the output using ":" characters
    dbms_system.ksdfls -- flushes the output to file.
    In addition, in Oracle 11g and beyond we are able to directly query the Alert.log file with an SQL statement via the table X$DBGALERTEXT.

E.g
    SQL>SELECT message_text FROM X$DBGALERTEXT WHERE rownum < 20;
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/manproc.htm#sthref729
    Hope this help

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points